These forums will shut down on April 30, 2017

Final Fantasy XI General Discussion - Chat live.

These forums will shut down on April 30, 2017

Postby WikiaComSup on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:43 pm

Hello FFXIclopedia forum readers,

This is a notice that these phpBB forums will be removed on April 30, 2017. The wiki is not going anywhere, but Fandom (Wikia) will no longer maintain hosting for these forums.

This message follows on this older post by the new wiki admin Haldarn:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=29041
as well as other conversations with him.

Forum-type conversations for FFXIclopedia can be started in the wiki's Discussions area found at:
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/d/f

Please contact Haldarn on his Message Wall if you have any questions about the wiki or if you would like to help out!
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Message_Wall:Haldarn

Are you interested in preserving these forums?
We are happy to work with any interested parties. You can reply on this thread or contact us at support@fandom.com
We are currently hosting the forums with Amazon (https://aws.amazon.com) and if there's someone who wants to take on the cost of hosting, it might be easiest to simply remain with Amazon and have them make the necessary adjustments. I expect that they could assess the traffic it's received over the last year and suggest the proper package.

Thank you,

Bert Hall (User:BertH)
Director, Support & Engagement
Fandom powered by Wikia
WikiaComSup
Site Admin

World: Alexander
Nation: Bastok
Title: A Friend Indeed

Re: These forums will shut down on April 30, 2017

Postby Cemalidor on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Well, i think it was only a matter of time this would happen.

With not that many people around frequenting this forums there is the question if it is worth the hassle to keep it running.

Taking over the costs is a bit much for me as private person since we seemingly are talking about several 100$ a year (judging the numbers i see at amazons) even it holds some dear memories. Would it be possible to set something new up at wikia with a interface like this one or are we talking about the mentioned 'discussion' board?
Sam/Rdm/Blm/Thf/Drg/Dnc/Bst/Pld/Pup 99, Mnk 60, Smn 52, War 51, Nin 51, Whm 51, Blu 45. Having all jobs ( :cheer: )
Citizen of San'doria/Ragnarok, Rank 6 ^^ :h5_b.gif:

Lukikiis personal Besieged RADAR
I'm not evil, I'm just very creative.
Cemalidor
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (621)
World: Ragnarok
Nation: Windurst
Title: Prishe's Buddy

Re: These forums will shut down on April 30, 2017

Postby WikiaComSup on Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Cemalidor wrote:Well, i think it was only a matter of time this would happen.

With not that many people around frequenting this forums there is the question if it is worth the hassle to keep it running.

Taking over the costs is a bit much for me as private person since we seemingly are talking about several 100$ a year (judging the numbers i see at amazons) even it holds some dear memories. Would it be possible to set something new up at wikia with a interface like this one or are we talking about the mentioned 'discussion' board?

The Discussions area, linked in my original post, is in operation already. It's tied to a notifications system at the top of every page and will generate email notifications as well. The feature still has some evolving to do. Notably, there is not any rich text formatting available yet, although URLs become linked automatically and any URL will also generate an open graph "card" with an image and text. The web layout will also be changing, to have more design and navigation continuity with the wiki.

"Wiki-style forums", that are similar to user talk pages, are also an option. But to be more accessible to potential new editors, who may not yet be comfortable with wikitext and who will likely be on mobile devices much of the time, I suggest keeping Discussions as the only "forum" area for now.
WikiaComSup
Site Admin

World: Alexander
Nation: Bastok
Title: A Friend Indeed

Return to General Discussion