RP on FFXI? - Seeking a Server

Final Fantasy XI General Discussion - Chat live.

RP on FFXI? - Seeking a Server

Postby Roelon on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:30 am

I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm a hardcore RPer who just came back to FFXI.

I'm willing to relocate for a good, active LS who's main focus is RP. Of course, I'm interested in leveling and everything the game has to offer, I'd just rather do it "in-character"

I'm sure there are like-minded people out there who have established such a community. Lemme know if you've heard of 'em.

Note: this is not the place to tell us how much you don't like RP. Don't be "that guy" who is going to say how stupid it is, and thinks we just run around town saying "Thee" and "Thus." RP is not "Old-english," and this is not the forum to debate the mechanics of acting out your character.

Remember... it's a game first. I'm just of the impression, "If you're gonna get wet, you may as well go swimming."

Roelon
-Phoenxi Server.
Roelon
Too weak

World: Phoenix
Nation: Bastok

Re: RP on FFXI? - Seeking a Server

Postby Tahngarthor on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:51 am

There's no such thing, pretty much. about the only RP i ever see is between RL spouses playing together. No LSes for it, no servers for it. No one seems to go for all that "in character" business in this game (oddly enough).

Not knocking RP I like doing that from time to time, just being honest about the situation. You're not going to find a lot of takers and that's just the honest truth. I kinda wish there were more out there who did that but meh.

(btw your name and world are shown on the right and it's not necessary to insert them in the body of your post)
FFXIclopedia Administrator

Please check out our new site located at http://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki
The new home of FFXIclopedia's founding fathers.
Tahngarthor
Impossible to gauge!

World: Shiva
Title: Dynamis-Tavnazia Interloper
Jobs: Summoner 90 - Puppetmaster 90 - Scholar 90 - Dancer 85

Postby TigerHawk on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:02 am

There use to be a roleplay LS on Pheonix, but its been a long while since I've seen them shout for members so I'm thinking they probably arn't around anymore, but you could always keep a lookout just in case they are.

I still see a good bit of roleplaying in the game, however its usually just casual off the cuff roleplaying during normal conversation, but nothing too in depth. But usually people will play along to a certain extent with other players that go a little more into the roleplaying.
80DRG/MNK /BLU /SAM /SCH /DNC
75MNK/DRG /DNC /NIN
76BLU/BLM /NIN /SCH
76PUP/DRG /DNC
75SCH/RDM /BLM
Former DragoonAlliance LS Leader; Phoenix
I am a Dragoon without a Weyr. Doomed to wander alone with my faithful companion as my only friend.
TigerHawk
Even match

Title: Paragon of Dragoon Excellence

Postby Qeen on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:34 pm

I tried, once, to create some RP quest on my LS...

I wrote a bunch of macro on a mule, to get mini cutscenes and emotes... But it never worked, I couldn't even have ONE member of the LS to try. >.>
I find it quite depressing noone in this game wants to try new things. :(
From that day, I decided to f*ck the RP and just play like everyone else.
Qeen
Decent Challenge

World: Leviathan
Title: Bye-bye, Taisai
Jobs: PUP90 DRG90 BLU90

Postby Roelon on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm surprised that there's no RP LSs.

I don't think I've ever been in a game where there was no core of RP players.

@ TigerHawk - I used to be in that LS. The Light's Templar. Good group of players when they were active. Sadly, they disbanded.

I think it may be due to the fact that you can change Linkpearls like a pair of socks... You log in - but you need to grind, so you switch to your leveling LS. - Whereas in other games where you can't switch your "Guild," you'd simply ask them. ...But in-character.

I'd start my own, but I'm no leader. It's no easy chore, and I'm afraid I don't have the time to dedicate to running a LS.

I'm still hoping that there's one out there. Lemme know if you've heard of one.

@ Tahngarthor - Thanks for the tip about the name. First time posting here.
Roelon
Too weak

Postby Axedinal on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:09 pm

There is a LS on Asura. I am not in it, I was thinking of joining but I don't really know how well I could RP with my schedule.

http://sfantumbra.twilight-vampire.com/forum.htm
Axedinal
Too weak

World: Asura
Nation: Windurst
Title: Averter of the Apocalypse
Jobs: PUP75

Postby Mystryl on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Don't lose hope, Roelon!

I'm sure you'll find the right crowd sooner or later. Although I haven't specifically seen RP LSs or recruitment shouts for one, doesn't mean they don't exist on my server. It's probably just because I haven't been on the lookout for one.
Some people in my LS that I've been friends with for a long time do some casual roleplaying, like talk in the mithra accent (not overly excessive, but perfectly executed imo), and I quite enjoy it. I just never got into the whole roleplaying thing maybe because it's not that common. I do however have a character background and history well thought out for my character.

So um... not sure where I'm going with this post, just wanted to cheer you up. I hope you find what you're looking for!
Mystryl
Too weak

World: Diabolos
Title: Apostate for Hire

Postby Jeran on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:58 pm

take a look on these:
http://www.lostboysls.com/
Jeran
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (31)
World: Cerberus
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Naja's Comrade-in-arms
Jobs: WHM75 SMN75

Postby urthdigger on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Jeran wrote:take a look on these:
http://www.lostboysls.com/

Thank you, I was just fixing to mention them. They're on Leviathan, and still seem to be fairly active. If I didn't have so many friends on Unicorn, I'd hop servers over there. Actually... I do have friends of Leviathan, so tempting...

Also, I'd like to also recommend the Storytime section on this forum if you like writing stories and participating in PbP.
My blog: Diary of a mad galka monk!
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Blog: View Blog (233)
World: Unicorn
Title: Paragon of Monk Excellence
Jobs: MNK75 DNC75

Postby Mystryl on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:07 pm

wow, the Lost Boys site is very impressive! I wish they were on my server, I'd give RPing a go for sure.
Mystryl
Too weak

World: Diabolos
Title: Apostate for Hire

Postby Encaitar on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:45 am

I was in a roleplaying linkshell on Pheonix, and I must say there's a dark side to finding a RP shell: You'll find that most everyone is, um, horrible at creating and developing characters. Horrible. Half-vampire? Seen it. You've got some secret power? But of course. You're an orphan? Well, I didn't assume otherwise.

Encaitar was supposed to be a father who had lost his daughter in the Crystal War. He was a typical cowardly Tarutaru, and he spent basically his whole life between Windurst and Mhaura. Then a shred of evidence that his daughter was still alive emerged, and he decided to come out of retirement to be an adventurer (he was, at this point, at quite an advanced age).

So, you see, I'm not terribly good at it, either. It's all kind of nightmarish.
Encaitar
Easy prey

Title: Discerning Individual
Jobs: WHM75 SCH75 PUP73

Postby urthdigger on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:18 am

Actually, yours sounds rather well. I did take a look over the Lost Boys LS rules, and it seems they encourage people to avoid that kind of stuff, which is rather good in my opinion. Most good groups will try to weed that out, and typically have rules both against godmoding (Having a character who's obscenely powerful), and some will have certain standards of quality to avoid cliched stuff. I'd like to think I avoid those kinds of things myself. I mean, I suppose my moogle is technically an angsty vampire, but the devil is in the details really (She's not undead, sucking blood is merely an addiction and not a need, and the angst it causes her is more along the lines of someone with a drug habit than a dark creature of the night whose life is pain). I suppose roleplayers just need to understand that just because something is "cool", doesn't mean it's a good idea to roleplay it, but it's also good to know not to judge a character at first glance.
My blog: Diary of a mad galka monk!
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Blog: View Blog (233)
World: Unicorn
Title: Paragon of Monk Excellence
Jobs: MNK75 DNC75

Postby Monstebeux on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Immediately made an account when I saw this thread.

http://www.ffxi-crystalline.net/

Crystalline has been around on Sylph since, well, quite frankly, i'de say near launch of the NA version of FFXI, if i'm not mistaken. Course, don't quote me on that. My point is, it's a very old shell, and has survived for a very long time. I definantly encourage any RPers to take a look. Definantly a great shell. Great people. There's usually at least half a dozen, if not more, people online at most times. Usually alot more during certain times of the day. I won't ramble on to much here, but you can hop over and check out the forums. I myself have only been a member of the shell for about a year, but I can vouch for the fact that almost every day I was online, there was something going on RP-wise, whether it was something big or something small.

It's a very friendly atmosphere, and the linkshell itself is considered IC 100% of the time. From my own personal experience, if you're a hardcore roleplayer looking for a Linkshell, Crystalline definantly will not disappoint. It's a very tightly-knit community, and a very open and welcoming one as well.

If you have any questions though, i'de be happy to answer them, as would anyone over on the Crystalline forums.
Monstebeux
Too weak

World: Sylph
Title: Royal Spearman
Jobs: 75SAM 75DRG 75RNG 75BRD 72SMN

Return to General Discussion