PbP Discussion

PbP Discussion

Postby Aeric on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:05 am

Play by Post Discussion Thread: Post your questions/concerns.

First off, the game is going great!

It's obv we are all working together to make a fun story line that is fair and enjoyable for all participants. Since this game does not have a "Game Master", I'm curious as to how battles will be handled.

Is Urth considered the "Over seer" of this particular game?

Also, would anyone be interested in playing a seperate "Adventure Play by Post" with a DM to moderate NPC responces and action results? Follow one pre set storyline to a rewarded conclusion?

And a quick shout out to Omega_Hack:

((I'm coming for you Altraaaaaaaaage!))
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Rosalyns Cure-All [What doesn't kill you makes the Dragon stronger](ch.3)
Lineage chart of Altrage de'Origualle (ch. 5)
Aeric
Tough

Blog: View Blog (12)
World: Alexander
Nation: Bastok
Title: Destined Fellow
Jobs: RDM DRK PLD NIN

Re: PbP Discussion

Postby urthdigger on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 am

I'd be interested in that. As for the current PbP, I can't really say if I'm the overseer of it or not. Most RP sites I've gone to where this kinda of stuff is done, it's just assumed in good faith that the characters will get damaged every now and then... basically, that the players understand that your character getting hurt isn't a bad thing: In fact, unless they die, getting hurt is frequently a good thing as it increases tension.

I'm a little hesitant to let people compete between characters though, unless it's decided beforehand between the players who will win, and who will lose. When it's a competition to see whose character is more superpowered than the other, more often than not everyone loses.
My blog: Diary of a mad galka monk!
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Blog: View Blog (233)
World: Unicorn
Title: Paragon of Monk Excellence
Jobs: MNK75 DNC75

Postby Darkvalkyr on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:37 am

Whenever I do forum RP, for FFTA for example, we just take turns fighting but one of us concedes eventually -- since we take powerplaying and godmodding very seriously...also, in that RP we take turns going on a 'post cycle' - which pretty much means that we take turns and wait for everyone to post before moving on. Now, if there were only 3 people in the topic, it's still fine. But when there's as many as the one's we have, well...that's not very easy D:

I was thinking that maybe we'd have several topics after a while if our characters all don't go to the same path... I dunno. That way we don't really get confused. Or maybe if enough interest shows we can just open a forum for RP -- like, from Invisionfree or something...
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
World: Lakshmi
Nation: Windurst
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby urthdigger on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:43 am

Or... just make a subforum of the storytime section ;)
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby Aeric on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:45 am

Darkvalkyr wrote:also, in that RP we take turns going on a 'post cycle' - which pretty much means that we take turns and wait for everyone to post before moving on.

That's how I'd like to run an Adventure. Every post consists of one Action.

The current game reminds me of PbP lobby's or taverns, more of a place to mingle. I think it'd be great if we started a PbP forum, or mebe if it gets popular here; we can get a sub forum under Story Time.

::edit::

Urth beat me to the post.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby urthdigger on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:57 am

Well, the reason I did it the way I did is I did intend it more for RP (Finding a way to stop the problem, talking about stuff, exploring...) and less about the combat. And having everyone required to post before the next does kinda stiffen things up a bit, and I wanted a very loose RP since I wasn't so sure there were even many people interested, wanted to make something open to everyone so they can try it out at least.
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby Darkvalkyr on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:05 am

Well, now you know ;p

I'll set up a sig and avvie to make my posts more distinct from others, because IMO if you don't have either to distinguish yourself I'd have to keep rechecking your name to remember your identity...
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Postby OMEGA_HACK on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:36 pm

D:

You're never gonna catch me!!! This Corsair still has a few tricks up his sleeves, and now you'd be dealing with my whole pirate crew @.@/

((just a tid-bit, I'm leaving little clues on my current location, but I find it fun for who ever is after the scroll to find out where in the world is Carmen Sandi-er wait, Altrage))

But I think its going along great I have PMed some people about possibilities of the Summit but nothing in stone, ooh doesn't everyone want to know what is on that little scroll :3 teehee. See yah on PbP, good sirs and ma'dams~
OMEGA_HACK
Tough

Blog: View Blog (7)
World: Shiva
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Pursuer of the Truth
Jobs: DRG + COR + SCH

Postby RosalynSable on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:43 pm

I actually ran a FFVII based RP forum a year or so ago. We kept it mostly freeform and battles only occurred during mission threads. The Missions were run like a D&D session. There was a GM who created the mission, enlisted the people who went on it, and ran it in separate threads with turn based combat. There was a stat system which determined combat factors, as well as a command menu. People started to complain about that, however, because fights could be easily determined by doing a little math. But it prevented godmodding and e-peen.
To be forgotten is worse than death.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (78)
Title: Doctor Shantotto Supporter
Jobs: Blu90 Sch90 Pup75 Drg60 Dnc40

Postby Microcuts on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:33 pm

I've never done any fan fic or RPing before so this is completely new to me. If anything, I just started off by playing off of what Urth was narrating in terms of none-character related events. One thing that "bothers" me in terms of writing, it's dialogues, especially ones that are directed at me (which I shouldn't be surprised of at all), so I would imagine fights and actions would be even more tricky.

As for what we have going on specifically, I think we all have good, mutual understanding of each other with leading and following and playing off of each other and surroundings.
RosalynSable wrote:Smoke some mognip to forget your troubles.
Microcuts
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (47)
World: Leviathan
Title: Bucket Fisher
Jobs: [75 WAR][68 BLU]

Postby Aeric on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:26 pm

Lol Omega!

I'm gonna try my best to find you. Right know all I have is your name, your other "clues" are mostly from the description of your travel. I can't really use that since it's more "player knowledge" than "character knowledge".

None the less, I'm coming for you!!! Lol =D

Gonna stay at AH house till Micro and Rosalynn approach me, since I'm under the impression that's their intent.

Once we're all on the same page, I'll continue.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby Darkvalkyr on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:55 am

I also intend to jump on the same boat, but once our dear friend replies D:
ImageImage

Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Postby RosalynSable on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Who are we waiting for to post? I assumed we were waiting for Micro or Aeric? lol
To be forgotten is worse than death.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (78)
Title: Doctor Shantotto Supporter
Jobs: Blu90 Sch90 Pup75 Drg60 Dnc40

Postby Microcuts on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 pm

:shock: *starts writing*

I believe Dark bumped into Cemalidor, who is also at the AH.
Urtharoon is hanging out in some corner, trying to listen.
RosalynSable wrote:Smoke some mognip to forget your troubles.
Microcuts
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (47)
World: Leviathan
Title: Bucket Fisher
Jobs: [75 WAR][68 BLU]

Postby urthdigger on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm

Yeah, I'm waiting for Aeric myself. My last post I misread some stuff and thought he was in a conversation with someone. Of course, now that I realized my mistake, he now is in conversation, so my point about not wanting to interrupt stands >.<
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Next

Return to Role-Playing