FFXI Pbp: Chapter 3

Re: FFXI Pbp: Chapter 3

Postby Aeric on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:22 am

Happy to see Rosalyn again, he thanks her for sharing some of her medicine. Smiling he examines it:

Rosalyns Cure-All:
"What doesn't kill you makes the Dragon stronger!"

Aeric can't help himself and staggers.

The Red Mage decides to save the medicine for a later purpose and hides it in the folds of his armor. Watching Rosalyn run off, Aeric begins to feel his power return to him. The sensation of pins and needles began to spread throughout his body but the energy return was slow.

Sighing, all Aeric could do was wait... but when when the time came...

:twisted:
Last edited by Aeric on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Rosalyns Cure-All [What doesn't kill you makes the Dragon stronger](ch.3)
Lineage chart of Altrage de'Origualle (ch. 5)
Aeric
Tough

Blog: View Blog (12)
World: Alexander
Nation: Bastok
Title: Destined Fellow
Jobs: RDM DRK PLD NIN

Postby urthdigger on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:17 am

I accepted the medicine graciously, and walked back to Aeric. Rosalyn didn't seem to mind me being a monster, but I could overhear the whispers from the other adventurers. I downed an ether and refresh as I got close to him. Honestly... I was feeling quite a mix of emotions. I was embarrassed by what I'd done being shouted in public like that. I acknowledged that it was my duty to protect Aeric, as he could not protect himself anymore. I wanted to destroy the beastmen, make them pay for what they'd done and made me do... and maybe even torture them a bit. And I felt that if I could utilize all the gifts I'd been given in perfect harmony, I could be perfect and beat them.

"You'll be fine in a few minutes." I said to Aeric. He seemed to be taking things quite well to be honest. "Just stick by me and you'll be fine. I promised to keep you from dying when I asked for your permission. I'm not about to stop that promise just because you can walk again. There's still more beastmen in the city. Let's win this."
My blog: Diary of a mad galka monk!
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Blog: View Blog (233)
World: Unicorn
Title: Paragon of Monk Excellence
Jobs: MNK75 DNC75

Postby Aeric on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:22 am

Mogwai wrote:"Just stick by me and you'll be fine."

"That's comforting." The Red Mage responded. "Because I didn't know what safety actually was until you bit me in the neck while I was bleeding to death. I remember thinking to myself; Gee, I sure am taking forever to bleed all this blood... I wish there was a way to speed this process up!"

Laughing, Aeric shook his head. He could sense Mogwais insecurity in regards to recent events and hoped that with humor he could lighten her emotional burden. The fact of the matter though was that Aeric was very interested in Mogwais vampiric ability and was uncertain wether he or others should be threatened by it. He also wondered how much Urthdigger knew about his rouge Moogle. Aeric used his jokes as a defense mechanism, after all, it was very easy for people to fear what they didn't fully understand.

"You know, Mogwai..." Aeric explained to the Moogle. "It's a good thing I'm not a Paladin or I might have woken to find myself without armor."

Exactly how many Moogles have this ability...? Aeric thought to himself as continued teasing Mogwai.

"You were as helpful to me today as Altrages scroll was to this Beastmen army."

I think it's in my best interest Aeric continued his train of thought That I investigate these so called 'Moogles' when all of this is over.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby RosalynSable on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 am

Rosalyn clashed her sword against Joseph's, catching his other against her shield. He roared in her face and pushed her back several feet. She stumbled on the battlements dividing Whitegate and Al Zahbi for only a moment before Joseph was attacking her once more. She barely caught another attack with her sword and shield and slammed her head into Joseph's face. She leaped into the air and was ready to strike down on him when he recovered from the blow and retaliated. A wave of blue-black feathers washed over Rosalyn and pinned her to the ground.

The end of Joseph's wing had taken the crude shape of a giant claw which was now keeping Rosalyn stuck to the ground. "This is the last chance I'm giving you to join me, Rosalyn," he said calmly.

"Why do you think I'd join you?" she groaned as she struggled against him.

"Because you of all people should be sentimental to what I'm doing. You yourself are walking around stealing souls..."

"What are you talking about?" Rosalyn spat.

"I bet you're wondering where I got this anyway?" Joseph said smugly as he held up the Blue Soul. "I actually found it here, in Whitegate. Down in the labs of the castle. It seems it's been here since Balrahn was in charge.... He ordered an experiment to take place back then... Something about grafting beastial appendages to his troops. But when that didn't work they needed a new plan... So one day one of his Alchemists discovered a gem that was fueled by souls..."

Rosalyn narrowed her eyes.

"Yes, but you see, this was a Zilartian technology, of course. Your primitive Alchemy couldn't begin to near the power that the old races possessed. So, they settled for a more... perverse method..."

"You son of a !@#$%&!" Rosalyn shouted as she struggled harder against his wing.

"You are no different from me!" Joseph laughed loudly and began walking toward her. He raised his swords up above his head. "I've given you enough chances already. It's time to dispose of you."

It happened in the blink of an eye. Rosalyn wasn't sure if he had been there the whole time, or if he had instantly teleported somehow. Either way, there was now man standing above her, blocking Joseph's swords with two of his own. He wore heavy Gothic Gauntlets and Sabatons, black hose and what looked like a modified chocobo racer's tunic accented in black. Where Chocobo Circuit logo would have been on the back there was an emblem of two white wings. The mysterious savior was also wearing a heavy salade the likes of which Rosalyn had never seen before. The visor was down, covering his eyes and the bridge of his nose, and a long tattered red scarf that billowed in the breeze covered his mouth and nose.

The two jumped away from each other, and Rosalyn was finally free of Joseph's grasp. She scrambled to her feet and made her way behind the man that had just rescued her.

"Who are you?" she asked as she passed him.

"A mutual friend at this point," he replied in a quiet and harsh voice. "I'm after that man. If he is your enemy as well, then that makes us allies."

Across the rampart Joseph was fuming. His face grew contorted with anger and he screamed loudly as he unleashed another lash of his wing. It grew outward, a wall of feathers that was rushing towards them with incredible speed. As quickly as it moved toward them it was gone, exploding in a burst of feathers that blew away on a breeze. Within the center of the explosion stood another stranger.

She was a dark skinned woman that wore what seemed to be Rasetsu Samue attire, but the energies that emanated from it seemed entirely different. She was wielding a Great Katana that Rosalyn had never seen before. With a single cut she had deflected Joseph's powerful attack and left him stunned.

He recovered quickly however, his torn wing repairing itself. "You...." he growled.

"Yes. Me." the man replied.

"Who are you two?" Rosalyn asked in shock.

"You can call me Locke," he replied, "and that woman is-"

"Eris," her voice was cold and calculating, "the Galian Beast."

---
To be forgotten is worse than death.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (78)
World: Lakshmi
Nation: Windurst
Title: Doctor Shantotto Supporter
Jobs: Blu90 Sch90 Pup75 Drg60 Dnc40

Postby urthdigger on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 am

"That's comforting." The Red Mage responded. "Because I didn't know what safety actually was until you bit me in the neck while I was bleeding to death. I remember thinking to myself; Gee, I sure am taking forever to bleed all this blood... I wish there was a way to speed this process up!"
"That's an odd sentiment to feel..." I thought to myself. Granted, the form of immortality adventurers enjoyed most of the time gave some of them crazy ideas on what their own life was worth.

"You know, Mogwai..." he said a little while later "It's a good thing I'm not a Paladin or I might have woken to find myself without armor."
I confess, I let out a small "Mrr?" of confusion. The thought of him losing all his armor was amusing... but it wouldn't cause that.

"You were as helpful to me today as Altrages scroll was to this Beastmen army." he said finally. And suddenly all his comments made sense.
I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him "Excuse me? I'd expect you to at least show enough gratitude to not make snarky comments. Would you have preferred I left you to bleed to death? For most people, that kind of thing hurts a lot, kupo. I saw you were in pain, and took it upon myself to stop your suffering. I hardly think you're in any position to question the methods I had to take to do so, especially given everything I risked to do so. In fact, given our current relationship I'd say you're really not in a position to argue with me, kupo. I can reverse what I did any time I want. If you don't like that I saved your life then fine, go ahead, say the word and I WILL KILL YOU. I'LL SET YOU ON FIRE AND BURN IT UNTIL THERE'S NOT EVEN ASHES LEFT! KUPO!"
I glared at him for a while, and then ashamed, turn my gaze from him. "I'm sorry, kupo... that was a bit out of line. It's just... I've got that moogle and those other adventurers all calling me a monster, all because I did what I thought was right, and to have the person I saved hate me for it..."
I turned to walk away from him. I was frustrated, more than a little sad, and hoped setting some things on fire would cheer me up.
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby RosalynSable on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:40 pm

When Eris moved it seemed as if every step had been calculated long before she had taken it. Every movement was fluid, perfect, and precise. It reminded Rosalyn of how the wyrm inside her would guide her in combat, looking over her shoulder and directing which way to go. To Rosalyn's knowledge the Samurai had no inner beast to calculate the battle and tell her where to go, it seemed to be natural skill that weaved the woman between vicious attacks from Joseph into every single opening he left. As the two clashed blades atop the battlement, Locke stood the whole time in front of Rosalyn protecting her from stray attacks.

"You don't need to do this," Rosalyn said aloud as she focused on a new set of spells to use in battle. "I'm perfectly capable of protecting myself."

"And how would you have gotten out of being decapitated?" Locke retorted with a snort. "Now hold still for a minute." Locke held his hands up and began casting a black magic spell. When he released it a cloud of darkness wrapped around Joseph and Eris.

"Now what are you doing? You just blinded her too." Rosalyn tried to step past but Locke stopped her.

"You might not have noticed it, but that woman relies on more than just her eyesight to fight. And her equipment is enchanted to do more good this way." The sound of metal on metal resounded a few more times inside the dark cloud until there was a gutteral cry and Joseph was knocked from the cloud. The darkness dissipated and Eris raised her blade above her head in an offensive stance.

The blade began to spark with deep purple arcs of electricity. When she swung it downward she unleashed a lance of lightning that soared through the air toward the encapacitated Joseph. Just as it was about to pierce him, he reached up and caught the energy in his hand. Joseph redirected the lightning back, but it simply disipated as it passed Eris.

"Stupid beast," Joseph howled as he climbed to his feet. "I should have destroyed you when I had my chance." Joseph directed his gaze to Locke and Rosalyn. "The same goes for you." He raised his hand to the air, clutching the Blue Soul tightly in his fist. "No matter... It's not yet complete, but I shall give you a taste of its power." A magic circle spread outward underneath Joseph's feet and the gem began to glow brighter.

"We can't let him fire that off," Locke shouted, "it's got enough power to wipe the city off the map!" He dashed across the rampart and joined up with Eris. Joseph's wing took a serpentine shape and lashed toward the two, doubling back on itself whenever they evaded. The very end took on a draconic maw, snapping and biting at them as they desperately tried to reach Joseph. The magic circle underneath him was growing larger and more ornate, and Rosalyn could feel the raw magic in the air surging towards the Blue Soul.

Rosalyn felt as though someone had casted a binding spell on her. She was unable to move her feet, unable to move a muscle, she was frozen. She had never felt such a power before, not even when Volt'aire destroyed the fomor army the night of the full moon. This was the power of hundreds of thousands of collective souls crying out for one single purpose. Total destruction. The magic was about to reach its culmination and Locke and Eris had made no headway against Joseph's living wing.

There was a wooshing sound that somehow rang clear above the sound of the battle below them, and a sharp clang as Volt'aire's scythe rebounded off of the rampart before spiraling down into the battle below. There was a thud, as Joseph's severed arm hit the ground, and the tiniest clinking as the Blue Soul bounced against the hard stone. Joseph unleashed a demonic howl as he dropped to his knees, his other hand catching the Blue Soul on its second bounce. Another wing errupted from his back and rushed towards Volt'aire who was standing on the opposite side of the rampart. The Zilartian held up his hand and the mass of feathers slammed into a solid barrier. Joseph, now surrounded, grasped the stub of his arm and took to the sky.

"You're not getting away!" Eris shouted, anger touching her monotone voice. She slammed her katana into her sheath and began casting something large. Locke grabbed the woman by the shoulders and shook her.

"Snap out of it, Eris. We're done here for the day." Locke looked the woman in the eyes until she looked way. She nodded and let out a sigh. Rosalyn shook her head and blinked a couple times. She could have sworn she saw small horns growing from the samurai's head.

Locke looked over to Rosalyn and shook his head. "We're going to Bastok to recuperate. You're welcome to join us, after you finish cleaning up the mess here that is." Locke began casting another black magic spell.

"You aren't staying to help?" Rosalyn asked, finally able to find her voice.

"It's not our fight," Eris said cooly. "We will see you again." Eris then vanished from Locke's spell, and he too disappeared after another short spellcasting.

Rosalyn now stood on the battlements alone, save for the Zilart who was recovering his breath. "Go ahead without me," he said, "I need another couple of minutes... Almost didn't make it in time..." Rosalyn nodded and made her way back to Al Zahbi.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby Darkvalkyr on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Unfortunately for the Tarutaru, he had seemingly lost the troupe of pirates. Still, he continued to search, while his soul continued to pester him.

You lost them.

I know.

You have to find them.

I know.

Maybe its that way.

I just checked it.

As he made his way around another seemingly familiar corner, he halted, his ears sharply froze. His soul too, halted his voice.

This is...

It's Joseph!

He felt his strong presence outside in the battlefield, and he wondered why he would reappear after his apparent death. Though, along Joseph, Valkyr felt it too. The Blue Soul, full of countless souls of the dead.

The soul must be feasting a grand one...

With so many dead, it must be nearing full power...

Kid, you feel that?

...it's getting faint. He's running away?

...I think so.

Valkyr cursed for a moment. Joseph was about the only other person who shared a similar vision to the Tarutaru, and yet again he missed another chance to talk to him. If only Joseph would know that there was someone who wanted to speak with him. His soul too, seemed to be calling out, willing to be a servant to one who dominates souls so violently. Whether it was the similar goal or the submission to the sheer power given from Joseph and the Blue Soul, both the Tarutaru and his soul were distraught that they had missed him yet again.
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby Aeric on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 am

Aeric blinked.

Poor Mogwai... he thought, shaking his head as she drifted away. Ever since Joseph first appeared, things have gone from terribly bad to dramatically worse. What seemed like an uneventful meeting in a tavern, quickly turned into a fantastic quest to defend the Nations of Vana Diel. A force of unrecognizable evil threatened to conquer the realm with no regard to human life.

But as that force pushed and pounded on us, all it could accomplish was to temper our resolve. Their efforts to destroy us made us stronger, better. When we thought we had lost a comrade, that comrade rose again. She had come back with a greater understanding of herself and a new control of great power.

We found unlikely allies in our travels. One such ally chose to reveal an obscure racial talent, in an effort to save the life of another. A talent that, now revealed, could jeopardize her existence and persecute her entire race.

It went to show that even though it seemed like they were alone on the battlefield, a great light watched over them. A true balance was expressed in the universe and it reflected in this penultimate battle.

As for the Red Mage, he realized something too. His power had returned. And with a grin not unlike that of a wolf, he withdrew his two swords.

He was ready for round two.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby urthdigger on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:09 am

I stormed off, looking for something to burn, something to take my mind off of recent events. "Should have just let the red mage die" I thought to myself. Definitely didn't seem worth the headache. It didn't take long for me to find a yagudo separated from the others. I pointed my finger at him and... nothing. I'd forgotten what to do. It took me a while to realize I'd lost my leeched powers, and took off for the sky after realizing it. I wasn't going to be much use down there... I could at least do recon. Granted, it did cross my mind that I could have just bitten someone else but... I already had enough people mad at me today. I could see Rosalyn and some people I didn't recognize on the eastern wall. A lot of the beastmen forces seemed scattered... I was surprised they were even still attacking. And as I glanced to the west, I saw a wyrm.
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby RosalynSable on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:27 pm

As Rosalyn entered the Ulthalum Parade grounds she could see that Areuhat was still in Wyrm form picking off the remaining Beastmen forces that were still making a poor attempt at breaching the gate. The invading forces had been thinned out from the fighting and it seemed as if they had made a retreat with the Serpent Generals hot on their trail.

She was feeling angry with herself, once again unable to defend against and defeat Joseph. His strength was increasing with every soul he claimed and today was a large advantage for him. The largescale Beastman attack didn't seem to be his plan, more likely another villain was running around somewhere and Joseph merely saw it as a chance to collect more souls.

Rosalyn walked up behind a goblin mercenary that was struggling with the moral dilemna of which side to be fighting for at that moment. Many times these merceneries had turned against the forces of Al Zahbi while it was being besieged. Rosalyn narrowed her eyes and casted a point blank Cannonball that sent the goblin soaring through the air and off into the distance. Rosalyn let out and irritated huff and watched as the attack finally drew to a close and civilians slowly began exiting from their hiding places.

Rosalyn looked up to Aeruhat and waved. "I appreciate your help again. I'll be by to visit again after this is all over with." The massive wyrm nodded in agreement and with a couple flaps of her wings lifted into the sky and left in the direction of the Middlelands and home. Rosalyn wondered if a life of seclusion in some remote Aery was all that awaited her as well and the Wyrm inside her stirred slightly before returning to slumber. "I'd like to do the same..." she said aloud and slowly stalked toward the Mog Houses.

Sitting atop one of the battlements Volt'aire watched as the battle ended. He breathed heavily, tired from using so much magical energy in an attempt to deflect Joseph's attack. Soft footsteps approached him and a hand held his scythe down to him. Volt'aire looked up and graciously took the scythe from Gunther Schultz. He held in the crook of his other arm the Crimson Grimoire, and black furred Moogle Stiltzkin sat on his shoulder.

"What brings you here?" Volt'aire asked as he stood up with a wheeze, using the scythe as a support.

"Simply returning your weapon," Schultz answered. He held out his hand and a little Chess piece appeared. It was the White King. "I thought about adding a little scythe to it while I had yours to examine, but I thought it might look tacky."

"If you were worried about things looking tacky you'd take off that Rain Hat," Stiltzkin said snidely. The Scholar simply ignored the Moogle's comment and continued.

"Rosalyn's psyche is deteriorating," a new piece appeared in his hand, a White Rook, "and at the rate its going she could wind up not only a threat to herself but to all life as we know it."

"She's only losing it because of what you did to her, you and that bastard." Volt'aire turned to leave but Gunther's voice stopped him.

"It would be in your best interest not to loose such an important piece, not before our endgame gambit of course."

"I can't believe I even agreed to this idea.... what happens when her memories come back?"

"If she has any shred of humanity left she'll understand. But if she keeps using the Wyrm like she has..."

"That's what you wanted all along though. Too 'valuable' a piece to lose, you had said."

Gunther chuckled and placed a hand n Volt'aire's shoulder. "I guess you don't understand. You have to look at the long run, the entire board, and every possible move. You can't win if you're not looking two turns ahead."

Volt'aire turned to speak his mind to Schultz' face, but the demon was gone...
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby Aeric on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:30 am

From the upper tier of Al Zhabi, Aeric sat with his legs dangling off one of the walkways that had lost its concrete railing.

The Red Mage waved at the Beastmen during their retreat. The former foes, arrogant in their initial approach, now stumbled over themselves in frantic escape. The look of relief from the defenders of Whitegate brought a warm smile to his face. Long and hard was the fight but warm and fuzzy was the ending result.

Aeric stood up and shook his head.

No time to waste, he observed. The Red Mage had lost sight of many of his allies during the course of battle and he intended to do a head count. Using the walkways, the Red Mage tried his best to locate some of his friends. Heroes and residents alike were bunched into groups, helping each other and discussing the recent events.
During his walk an armed official approaches him.

“Thank you.”

“Huh?” The Red Mage responded.

“My wife and child, they were stuck behind a bastion when you came between them and…” The armed soldier then choked up, grabbed Aerics hand and shook it appreciatively. “Thank you.” was all the man could muster.

Aeric could not remember saving the pair but then again, there were so many people…

Around them, others began to applaud. Soon a cheer spread across the people of Al Zhabi and Whitegate. They praised the names of the heroes that defended the city and the Gods for blessing them during battle.

Aeric felt his face turn red.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby Darkvalkyr on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:17 am

Valkyr heard the cheers echo even all the way from the back of the palace. He couldn't help but smile a little.

Well, they actually did it.

Good for them then, but we're still leaving. Wasn't there an exit somewhere...oh, over there?

Valkyr peered over the corner and noticed that there was another path that seemed to lead back to the main chamber, but branching off a slightly different direction. He proceeded carefully and was surprised to see it lead to a back room with a window. He unlatched it quickly and found it to lead straight outside of Whitegate and into the Woodlands. He smiled and crawled through.
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby urthdigger on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:27 am

"I drifted back down as the beastmen retreated, listening to the applaud of the populace. All hail the conquering heroes, hooray. I wasn't really in the mood to listen however, and retreated back to Whitegate. There were a few murmurs from the crowd as I walked back... I don't suppose they had expected a moogle dressed like a mage walking back from the battle. What I saw when I reached the square chilled me however: The home crystal had been shattered. It seemed Maxwell was true to his word. As I looked at the shards, a pair of MHMU moogles came over to survey the damage, and noticing who I was, were thrilled to see me.
"We're glad to see you, kupo. Ever since you went missing...""

"That'll be enough, Mogwai." said the moogle magistrate. "We all know what happened next. They finished their work and escorted you back to the MHMU headquarters. Now that your story is complete, let's discuss what's to be done with you."
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Previous

Return to Role-Playing