FFXI Pbp: Chapter 3

Re: FFXI Pbp: Chapter 3

Postby RosalynSable on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 pm

Resha leaned heavily against a wall, trying to catch her breath. She was burning up, more intensely than ever before. She saw the fires that raged over a portion of the city, felt the heat that left adventurers unscathed and beastmen as nothing but ash. And the vision of a summoner she didn't know seemed to be stuck in her head. She felt completely spent, and the small contingent she had joined with in defense of the Hall of Binding was beginning to fall around her. The Beastmen hordes were far too large and the adventurers not enough. Just as the beastmen formed around them, a small taru Dragoon drove his way through the ranks and fought them back long enough for the soldiers and adventurers to regroup.

Resha breathed heavily and rejoined the group. It was strange, she was so tired and yet it felt like she had just woken. And now it seemed like everything could be coming to an end. She rose her chakrams and knelt into a fighting stance once more as the thinning waves of enemies continued. An end was in sight. It was just a matter of surviving that long.

---

"Don't do anything stupid my ass," Volt'aire groaned as he fought his way between a group of heavily armed Quadavs. His scythe repeatedly caught on their shells and his fight turned into a dangerous game of trying to deal damage and retrieving the weapon before being struck by another of the beastmen. They had formed a ring of shells and carapaces around him, singling out adventurers seemed to be a potent tactic for them. It was ironic, in a way, how normally it was groups of adventurers ganging up on the beastmen. He was growing weary, swinging the scythe wasn't something he could do for prolonged periods of time. He was much more accustomed to supporting Resha during any fray that he had to stay out of. But it didn't mean he had no tricks up his sleeve.

Volt'aire spun around, his Zilartian device identifying the weakest monster in the group that surrounded him. After finding his target he rushed it. The Quadav swung a great sword at Volt'aire, but the Zilart ducked underneath the attack. As he narrowly avoided being decapitated, his scythe evaporated into the shadow underneath the Quadav. Volt'aire jumped backward into the center of the group and rose his hand upward. His scythe spiraled out of the ground, the blade neatly slicing a vertical gash up the Quadav's breastplate and face. The surprise attack knocked the beastmen backward, and Volt'aire used the opportunity to escape.

Volt'aire thought he was lucky to escape, but the rest of the battle was going from bad to worse. Despite the large number of beastmen that simply vanished from existance when struck, there were many that were still very much real. Volt'aire could only do so much facing off against them one by one. There was only one thing left to do. Raising his hand to the device on his head he switched the setting and brought up something not much unlike a clock. A magical display of the planet and the moon appeared in his sight, and it began calculating the moonphase and the amount of magical energy in the air. The numbers that resulted left a grimace on his face, but he nodded and made a dash towards the highest place he could get to.

Standing on the ramparts of Al Zahbi, Volt'aire slammed the shaft of his scythe onto the ground and a magical circle spread out under his feet. He began preparations for casting a spell, calling not only on his magical power but his emotions to fuel it too. His weariness from fighting, his anger at the beastmen, everything he had left of willpower he began to wrap into a tight metaphorical ball. He could feel it welling up inside him, bubbling and ebbing as magical energy swirled around him. Just as he was reaching the point of no return, a roar ripped out over the city that drowned out the sounds of battle and caused a resulting hush. Volt'aire's concentration interrupted, his spell fizzled out, the circle underneath his feet vanishing with a flicker and snap of light.

A large gray wyrm was flying circles over the city, possibly looking for a place to land. Volt'aire's device changed settings, zooming in on the beast as a figure dropped from its back into the fray. The wyrm then flapped its wings hard as it landed in the Ulthalam Parade grounds. Things were about to become interesting.

---

"Scattered roses, Circle Blade!"

The sound of shattering earth echoed through the stillness and the group of beastmen surrounding Aeric and Mogwai either stumbled or vanished.

"Temporal Shift!" an aura of purple waves spread across the immediate area, stunning the fallen beastmen.

Heavy bracelets that looked too large for a person to be wearing hung from her wrists, a high quality mantle of smilodon leather was draped over the shoulders and back of her high quality Magus Jubbah. Her Kilij gleamed in the light as she gripped it tightly in her hand, a shield resembling a turtle's shell strapped to her left arm.

A troll that had seen the events had began walking away, looking over its shoulder to see if it had been spotted or not. Thick threads of silk began forming around the Blue Mage, bolstering her defense. The cunning tactics of a Thief were coursing through her head. She spun on her heal, aiming her next spell right for the troll's back.

"Cannonball!" the large force errupted forward, plowing into the beastman with enough power to send even its hulking frame into the air. Rosalyn turned enough to look at her comrades. Her eyes were piercing and fierce, and a grin could be faintly seen behind the veil of her keffiyeh. "Come on, we've not lost yet."
To be forgotten is worse than death.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (78)
World: Lakshmi
Nation: Windurst
Title: Doctor Shantotto Supporter
Jobs: Blu90 Sch90 Pup75 Drg60 Dnc40

Postby urthdigger on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:52 am

I backed away from Aeric, taking a glance at the beastmen that surrounded us. I kept a tight grip on my polearm, but knew it wasn't likely to be of much use. Already I could feel the skill and essence of the dragoon leaving me, as the bit of him inside me was becoming less distinct and more a part of myself, thus ending the "agreement" of the ritual. Sometimes I wish we could get together and find ways to improve our rituals to not have so many rules and exceptions.
"Well... unless humes can fly, or you happen to weigh less than about 20 kilograms, I'm afraid I'm fresh out. Maybe if you keep them distracted I can-"
I was interrupted by Rosalyn's arrival, directing their attention off of us as she proved a bigger threat. I tried to aid as best I could, summoning ghostly fire with my dances to ignite those who avoided the blue mage's attacks. As the area started to clear, Rosalyn urged us to follow, and I was grateful for the reprieve. All the work with the lance, the dancing... not to mention almost dying from a lack of oxygen, I was exhausted. I saw the chocobo I'd freed earlier, miraculously unhurt, running around outside and whistled for it to come to me, hopping into the saddle as it came near. I was glad it was back... it'd helped me out earlier. I wonder if it came looking for me... is the aspect of a dragoon "kinship with winged things"? I never had anything stay hypnotized for that long. Lying down, my head nestled against it's neck, one paw on the bridle as the other hang lazily to the birds side, I kept it following the others. I swore if I got out of the battle alive, I'd never spend all day eating cookies and listening to linkshells again.
My blog: Diary of a mad galka monk!
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Blog: View Blog (233)
World: Unicorn
Nation: Bastok
Title: Paragon of Monk Excellence
Jobs: MNK75 DNC75

Postby Aeric on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Grinning, Aeric follows Rosalyn.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Rosalyns Cure-All [What doesn't kill you makes the Dragon stronger](ch.3)
Lineage chart of Altrage de'Origualle (ch. 5)
Aeric
Tough

Blog: View Blog (12)
World: Alexander
Title: Destined Fellow
Jobs: RDM DRK PLD NIN

Postby odyese on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Hasiano watched as Maggie closed her eyes and began to shine with a light that blinded, she was getting ready to release one of her most powerful breaths. All he had to do was wait keep the beastmen away from the group of soldiers and fellow adventurers that had gathered to defend this place. Looking around he saw someone leaning against a wall, then get up, ready to fight again.

Suddenly arrows started raining over the group, a few hitting soldiers that were trying to get up, one arrow flew right past Hasiano's head, scraping the top of his Drachen Armet, that had been a gift from the entity know as the The Last Dragoon. "Damn beastmen, your gonna pay for that!" Swore Hasiano.

He suddenly felt a sharp pain in his right arm, turning around, he saw Maggie on the ground. An arrow had impaled her right wing. "Maggie! Are you alright?!" Maggie lifted her head for a second and made a motion similar to a nod, as if saying she was fine. "I was hoping we wouldnt have to do this, but you know what i have to do."

Hasiano picked Maggie up, holding her in his arms, and began to focus. "I call upon the Power of the Dragoon, the Bond between my wyvern and myself is strong, please allow my Strength to become Maggies. Please bestow me the sacred power of The Spirit Link. Allow Maggies pain to become my pain!"

Suddenly, both Hasiano and Maggie were bathed in a mysterious light, energy flowing between them. Then as sudden as it had appeared the light disappeared, it was gone. Maggie flew up in the air, with new energy, ready to fight again, Hasiano looked up at her. "Good, your back to full strength, unfortunatly that took more out of me then i thought it would."

Hasiano, stumbled to the ground, struggling to move. In the distance, the beastmen started to move again. "Oh crap, bad timing."

-fixed spelling errors-
Last edited by odyese on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Hasiano - Race: Tarutaru - World: Alexander
Dragoon 75 White Mage 75 Warrior 75 Dark Knight 38 Thief 34 Bard 13
PM8-3 AU32 ZM14 WoTG2 Bastok Rank 10 Windurst Rank 6
odyese
Easy prey

Blog: View Blog (2)
Title: Seeker of the Light
Jobs: Dragoon 75 White Mage 75 Warrior 75 Dark Knight 38 Thief 34 Bard 13

Postby urthdigger on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:23 pm

The dark moogle sat up on top of the wall dividing the commoner's ward from the main section of Whitegate, licking his wounds. That blasted red mage... he'd almost had her.

"Maxwell, what the hell are you doing." growled a demonic voice on the other end of his linkpearl
"Only assisting, as you asked, kupo" replied Maxwell
"Ask? ASK? I don't ask, I tell. And I told you to go along and disrupt the crystal, not lollygag"
"Well, when I saw the other moogle there, I thought it best to-"
"Your job is not to think, moogle. I have people far more intelligent than you that I consult for that. Destroy the crystal, and come right back. You know the penalty for disobeying."
"Yes Grand Duke Batym" he answered, careful not to add a kupo to that. He had done so only once before, and got a harsh reminder that his employer's name was not "Batym Kupo"

Maxwell jumped off the eastern wall, letting his wings slow his fall. He easily crossed Balrahn Way before landing. The townsfolk gasped as they saw the heavily armed, dark furred moogle land amongst them and run off towards the Serpentking Square. The weapon he pulled out wasn't one of his swords, or his staff, but a small tuning fork with a moogle head on the pommel. Asrahd ran up to try and stop the suspicious activity, but before he could close the distance the fork had already been rung, it and the crystal resonating loudly with each other. With an immense crack, the home crystal fragmented and fell to the ground in hundreds of pieces.
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby OMEGA_HACK on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 am

Magnifico led the group of thieves towards the stairs as the battle with the summoner began. They descended to the first floor with ease and Magnifico stopped the group to peek around a corner. The first floor differed greatly from the second. The hallway was much taller and chandliers lined the center of them. The walls had elegant crown, chair and base moldings all made of gold and silver and adorned with small gems to create quite a wonderment to behold.

At the end of the hallway were three men, two palace guards and an Immortal. Their backs were to the group giving them to element of surprise. He motioned to Snake to approach and the two quickly and quietly rushed towards the unsuspecting trio. Each jumped up on opposite walls and drew their blades and sunk them deep into the necks of the Palace Guards as they turned around. The Immortal was already on his toes however casting a spell as he whirled around. The rest of the crew emerged from the corner of the hall. Carlia and Pacco began to cast protective spells as the Immortal spewed fire from his mouth towards Snake and Magnifico. They jumped back just in time to avoid becoming charred but their element of surprise was no more.

"Well, well, well," sneered the Immortal, "looks like my hunch was right. I thought we'd get some rats while the guards were away." He kicked one of the nearest Palace guard's bodies. "Worthless maggots."

"I would suggest you not to try and fight us Immortal," ttop warned, "There are more of us in skill than there are of you."

"Ha!" the Blue Mage spat, "come then, show me your merits." Just then the crew began to attack the Immortal. Ttop was up first swing his great axe with all his might at the Immortal who easily dodged the attack, but Alix was already in the air with his Great Katana coming down on the Immortal. But like a flash of lightning the Immortal dodged the attack. The crew kept on attacking however they could not seem to land a blow on the Immortal who was literally laughing at their attempts.

"Pathetic! All of you," the Immortal laughed, "Where is your leader? Did you leave him up their to die by that Summoner's hand? Its a pity that he gets to have all the fun."

"Shut up!" Pacco yelled at the Blue Mage and faster than a blink of an eye the Immortal was standing in front of the Tarutaru. He picked up the Scholar and tossed him into the wall. Carlia ran over to assist the wounded companion at the rest of the crew began their attack once more only to have the same outcome.

"You all don't understand," the Immortal stated, "I have a power which none of you have, you cannot best me...now let's end this!" He drew he blade and began to attack the thieves. His attacks were lightning fast and hard to block. He sunk his blade deep into Ttop's chest, lifting him from the ground. With a laugh the Blue Mage slung the Warrior's limp body to the side leaving a streak of blood from where the body slide across the marbled floor.

"You bastard!" Sieu exclaimed as he swung his scythe towards the Immortal. He dodged the attack with ease however but the crew was not going to give up.

"Nanako, take Carlia, Pacco, Macxero and Alix to the Queen's room!" Magnifico commanded, "We need to get out of here, find the ship, we will come after you."

"But-" she began.

"Just go!" Magnifico yelled as he blocked an attack from the Immortal. Nanako nodded her head and took the three others and left Magnifico, Snake, and Sieu to fend for their lives against the deadly Immortal. Above them they could here numerous explosions from the battle with the summoner in the library but that was none of their concern at the moment. With lesser numbers attacking the Immortal they were able to fend him off better by working together to optimize their stirkes and parries. The cockiness that the Blue Mage once had was gone when Snake managed to slash the Immortal's arm. Blood trickled down the blue robes.

"Cur!" the Blue Mage spat as he jumped back from the hit, "You will pay for that!" He began to cast spells as well as utilizing his blade to the utmost. Causing problems for the trio who did not have many ways to counter magic besides getting the hell out of the way. The Blue Mage was pressing hard on the trio and it seemed that they would not make it out of the mess when out of no where a card zipped by followed by a gun shot.

the Immortal's hand was smashed by a large stone causing him to drop his blade and jump back to see where the attack came from. The corsair at the end of the hallway set the bard down against the wall keeping his hexagun aimed at the Blue Mage.

"You three," commanded the PIrate Captain, "Take Hobb and Ttop to the Queen's Room. I'll meet you there."

"Such confidence in those words, Pirate," the Immortal spat, "So it seems you bested the summoner...the rumors must be true then."

"Yes, the rumors certainly are true," Altrage responded, "so they used her to put the marks on the Immortals...tell me, where is she?"

"Who ever would you be speaking of?" mocked the Immortal.

"Darka you sonofabitch!" Altrage snapped, "Tell me your name you bastard!"

"My name?" the Blue Mage was enjoying Altrage's frustration, "My name is Retisiff, I was given the mark of Ramuh, there is no way you can get passed me."

"I will cut you down, and save Darka, so help me Altana!" Altrage roared the power of Fenrir burning inside him. He knew this strength would have to be tapped into if we were to best this Immortal.

"Ha! Don't be so foolish Corsair!" the Blue Mage taunted, "Do you think I am the only one whom she marked? There are more of us than you can possibly imagine!"

"I don't care how many of you there are, I'll cut you all down," Altrage yelled back drawing his sword and rushing towards the Immortal. The two clashed blades, sparks flew into the air as the metal threatened to snap under the pressure. Altrage won the blade lock and advanced once more but the Immortal lept into the air and spun over the Pirate. The two clashed blades once more followed by another and another. Their strengths were equal the power of the Avatars' flowing through them.

Altrage pulled out his hexagun and fired a round at the Blue Mage who lept into the air and landed on the chandliers. Altrage met the Immortal above the hallway and clashed swords again, dangling from the ceiling's adornments. The Blue Mage's eyes were glowing from the excitement, his being lusting for battle and a challenge.

This man has lost his grip on reality. Altrage thought as he found the Immortal. I must end this now. He tapped into the power of Fenrir once again letting the beastly Avatar take full control. Altrage let out a howl and the image of Fenrir was seen merging with the pirate. The Blue Mage unaware of this kind of power from the tattoo jumped to the floor in shock and awe. Altrage jumped down to the floor as well cracking the marble slabs under his feet. His eye's shown bright red, all conscienciousness had left his being.

"W-w-what kind of power is this?!" exclaimed the Blue Mage in fright, but it was too late for him. As if cutting butter, Altrage sliced the through the Blue Mage's sword and continued to move across the Blue Mage's mid-body. A blank star fell across the Immortal as he fell to his knees and in two. Altrage let out another howl and sheathed his sword and ran towards the stairs leading to the basment. He would rescue his lover or he would have his revenge.
OMEGA_HACK
Tough

Blog: View Blog (7)
World: Shiva
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Pursuer of the Truth
Jobs: DRG + COR + SCH

Postby Darkvalkyr on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Valkyr watched the fight from afar. Without a doubt, the Blue Mage would've detected his presence if he wasn't too preoccupied playing with the pirate crew, but should the Blue Mage alert the crew to his presence, the Tarutaru would immediately strike at the Immortal. He wanted no more ties to them. Not now, not ever. As he continued to view the combat, Valkyr and his own soul noted the brutal power that was emitting from the powerful Blue Mage, not unlike Altrage and several others that he noted in the past few weeks. The Immortal continued to play with the pirate crew, until eventually stabbing the Great-Axe warrior. Several lead by the one called Nanako led them away, and three remained.

Valkyr was tempted to go help, yet he continued to watch, determined to see how this would play out. As expected, the Blue Mage's underestimation had caused him to go into a corner, but as far as the Tarutaru knew, a cornered beast was the most dangerous kind. Valkyr was readying himself to find an opening between the Blue Mage's spells -- the element of surprise is obviously with him, but now he just needed to know where and when he could hit him the hardest.

He turned abruptly however, detecting Altrage coming from behind. Valkyr could immediately tell that Altrage was going to be the victor, and followed Magnifico and the other two right away to make sure the Tarutaru didn't miss his chance to get on the boat. Valkyr took note of his attire, and was glad to be wearing his loose red robe and scarf over his Jubbah which would make explaining difficult. Catching up to the three, Valkyr quickly asked a question to his soul.

What's the best course of action!?

Heal them? They look hurt, and they might appreciate it.

Oh yeah, an invisible healer suddenly pops out of nowhere and heals them! They'll definitely trust me.

Just get on the boat then, then make your appearance. Say you were hiding.

Right, good plan.

And so the Tarutaru continued to follow.
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby Aeric on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:21 pm

The Red Mage had nearly met his limits.

He was physically exhausted, sweat was pouring down the side of his head and after Chainspelling, his magic was nearly tapped out. Rather than let his magic fully recover during his refreshing, Aeric decided to throw mid level cures to Hasiano and some of his other friends. He was relieved to be around company again.

With renewed morale, the crimson clad hero takes a few bold steps forward and back into the fray. He feels a chill run down his spine but isn’t sure why ((This is the shattering of the Crystal – My HP is not set here, Bastok FTW)).

As Aeric goes to mark a target, he is bum rushed from the side. The force sends his brain rattling.

What in the heck...?

Aeric spins around to face his assailant. Turns out, a massive Orc accidently backed into him avoiding a blow from one of the heroes defending Whitegate. Grinning, The Redmage crouches down to strike but is struck by a spear from behind.

The Red Mage grimaces in pain. His Stoneskin was down and he didn't have his shadows up.

The spear was thrown from some corner of the battle, hitting it's mark and peircing his left lung. Staggered, the Red Mage finds trouble standing. Surrounded by opponents, Aeric begins to be systematically cut down by the Quadavs.

They walked around him, making "chortle" sounds for laughter. Their were too many and Aeric was getting dizzy...

((I'll prob come back to edit))
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby urthdigger on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:15 am

"AERIC!" I shouted as the red mage was assaulted. I spurred my chocobo into action, letting him do most of the work. Don't look at me like that, I was exhausted. I still attacked a few of them with my spear, and along with the other adventurers in the area, managed to drive the beastmen away from him.

I hopped down from my bird and knelt down next to my comrade. He looked like he'd gone through a lot, if only I'd been able to drive them off faster. I considered my options... he looked a bit out of it as far as healing himself went, none of my other companions seemed the healing type... and I was having trouble mustering the strength to lift a spear, let alone dance... which left me with one viable choice.
"Aeric" I said, trembling visibly in my voice "I know you probably don't want to die right now... I can help that, but I... I'll need a little something from you. Are you ok with that?"
I only noticed after I finished talking that I was making my fangs quite visible. Opening my mouth wide when talking, and even closed I was keeping them bared outside my lip. This was probably because hesitation wasn't my only emotion right then... I was eager for him to say yes... or pass out which was just as good. The blood I'd taken earlier was starting to run out... and I needed a fix."
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby Aeric on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:16 am

Damn...

Aeric was down on one knee, using a sword as a support. Breathing hard, the Red Mage was doing his best to recover. His vision was a bit blurry but it looked like a Chocobo had stormed in front of him, driving some of his foes back. Exhausted and loosing blood, Aeric found his senses started becoming unreliable...

On his bottom peripheral, Aeric saw two colored bars that seemed nearly depleted. Strange... the Red Mage thought, as he felt the lenght of the bars were relative to his condition. He could feel his heart beat as it pulsed blood throught his body. Every pump made his ears heat up as his life and magic slowly tried to recover.

Looking up, Aeric could see Whitegates defenders and Mogwai driving off opponents as best they could. Aeric was staggered to see every attack revealed characters that he could not recognize but still interpreted as numbers.

This isn't happening...

The Red Mage closes his eyes and brings his chin to his chest. Either Death itself was taking him or he was going crazy. Aeric dared not take another look...

The Red Mage could hear a very meek and uncertain voice penetrate his concentration.

Mogwai wrote:"Aeric."

Oh God...

Mogwai wrote:I know you probably don't want to die right now..."

Oh God, it's Death itself.

Aeric chanced a glance but found when he opened his eyes, that the words spoken were being displayed in his vision. The Red Mage quickly closed his eyes again. He was certain he was dying.

Mogwai wrote:"I can help that, but I... I'll need a little something from you.

Uuuaaaghhh Aeric moaned in his head. Death has finally come to claim my soul...

With his eyes still closed, the Red Mage responded to the Demon by using his inner monolouge. The words, unfortunatley for the moogle, came out as incoherant jargon.

Curse you, Demon. I will not roast evenly in the ever burning bosom of your inferno. You have come to bite off more than you can chew... and I am very chewy. Never break! I am solid and I will stand firm on this day that I face oblivion...

Mogwai at this point could see drool spill from the side of Aerics pale face. His eyes were sullen and he needed help fast.

Mogwai wrote:"Are you ok with that?"

The Red Mage did his best to respond to the Demon. Specifically, he wanted to explain to the Demon that he would rather die on the spot and come back to life as a "Healthy Tree" but it came out sounding more like:

{Yes, Please.}
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby urthdigger on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:36 am

It was hard to tell if he had actually accepted or not, in hindsight asking someone with a hole in their lungs a question was a rather foolish thing for me to do... but this was something I'd been told all my life not to do. I was not about to just go sucking someone's blood on a whim. Just as it looked like he'd pass out, I heard him gasp out "Yes please". Good enough.

"Blue mage! Dragoon! Other people! Keep me covered while I tend to the wounded." I shouted. The beastmen we'd driven off weren't the only ones massing for the gates... there were still quite a few of them out there. Probably about 100, assuming the majority were in the Ulthalum parade grounds. I had to remember that it wasn't just me, the red mage, and his friends here, even if sometimes it felt that way, and even right now there were a few adventurers nearby... here's hoping they all decided to listen to me, and faced the other way to attack the beastmen. I turned my attention back to Aeric.
"I'm not proud to do this... you may want to close your eyes."
I licked his shoulder, letting it numb the site as I chanted the ritual. Each second I was worried he'd pass out into a weakened state, which was not something we could afford to wait for... I'd already heard of their plans to shatter the crystal in town, another reason to ensure he stayed conscious. It only took about ten seconds for the ritual, but it felt like I'd been waiting for the Starlight Celebration. And for my gift, I wrapped my arms around the red mage, and sunk my teeth deep into his neck.

I could feel the same kind of power I'd gotten earlier rush back to me, though it was different now. I could clearly identify a few of the aspects I'd taken from him, and first order of business was healing the poor little dear in my care. It didn't take many spells to heal him... I'm afraid despite not wanting him to be weakened, I had gone a little overboard with how much I took. But that was no matter as I looked back to the beastmen amassing at the gates. I could take his place now.
"Chainspell!" I yelled out, activating the ability. A smirk crossed my face as I realized just what else I had at my disposal.

"Manafont"
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby RosalynSable on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Rosalyn saw Aeric fall under the mass of beastmen, but when she tried to approach him she had been cornered by a similar group of beastmen attempting to do the same to her. She blocked a thrusted weapon with her shield and sheathed her weapon long enough to pull out a frying pan and ladle from her pack. She slammed the ladle against the frying pan repeatedly, causing a jarring noise that stunned the beastmen around her. She slipped the frying pan and ladle back to her gobbie bag and redrew her weapon. She was still surrounded and the beastmen wouldn't be stunned for much longer. She quickly thought through what she had at her disposal. She began casting and slammed her weapon into the ground.

"Ice Break!" a sheet of ice moved outward from her in a circle and froze the feet of the beastmen to the ground. She then ran toward an orcish dragoon which swung its weapon at her in vain. She jumped onto the harpoon, onto the orc's head, and clear over the wall of flesh that surrounded her. She felt a surge of power come from Aeric's direction and assumed he must have healed and gotten back on his feet. Reasonably assured he was fine, she turned her attention to a group of reinforcements that were flowing into the square.

A small contingency of Blue Mages had slipped in, flowing smoothly through the fight and taking out beastmen in their way. They faught brutally and without mercy. Rosalyn ducked and weaved her way through the fight and caught up with the group of Immortals.

"Who's in charge here?" Rosalyn shouted over the din of battle.

"I am," one of them replied without breaking away from the monster he was engaged with.

"I have a plan, a simultaneous casting! With our combined strength we should be able to drop a number of them."

The leader felled the beastmen and turned to face Rosalyn. He recognized her as an outcast from the Immortals, but martial law was in effect and he'd deal with her after the battle was won. "What did you have in mind?"

"Just follow my lead!" Rosalyn began casting, and the group of Blue Mages did so as well after a quick order from their commander. It was a spell that took a few moments to cast, but the Immortals stood resolute in the midst of chaos. The magic that coursed through the air was immense, the level of which only Named Monsters were capable of weilding.

Black Mages had tandem casts, usually taking several to call upon Meteors to rain from the sky. Ten Blue Mages, each accounting for their own portion of this spell, let out a rainstorm of razor sharp barbs that assaulted everything around them. Some Beastmen disappeared into nothingness when struck, others took needles across their entire bodies. The ones closest to the attack took the most damage, sparing the ones further back, but the damage had been dealt. Rosalyn panted heavily, drained after such a long spell. She grinned. "10,000 Needles..." she looked to the other Blue Mages. "Pretty good idea, wasn't it?"

Rosalyn didn't have long to gloat before she was slammed several yards away by a Troll's hammer. She rolled for the majority of it and when she came to a stop she thanked Altana that her shield caught most of the blow. She limped to her feet and leaned against a wall. She needed a healing spell quickly, so she began focusing on the monsterous spirit that could heal her. It would leave her defensless for a minute, but it was a better option than getting killed by bleeding out. A group of monsters approached her, but were knocked away by friendly fire.

Rosalyn watched the battle closely and saw Resha feverishly tearing through a group of Yagudo. Her attacks were a flurry of fists and bursts of flame. She must have invoked the 100 Fists that monks were famous for. They had been fighting for so long now, and Rosalyn had only just joined the fray. It didn't seem like it was going to end. She used the power of the Opo-opo spirit and healed her injuries, and was just about to return to battle when she halted in her tracks.

She could feel something, a familiar prescence that smelled of darkness. The wyrm inside her could smell it too, and directed her gaze to the skyline of the Imperial Castle. High atop a tower spire was a single person, watching the events. Despite the distance, Rosalyn could see and feel the blue pulse eminating from the figure's hand. "He's here..."
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby Aeric on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:23 am

Aeric shook his head as he sat up.

Just moments ago the Red Mage was at Deaths door. Rubbing the back of his neck, Aeric did his best to recall recent events. He could clearly remember being overwhelmed, critically injured and succumbing to the fever that came with blood loss. He also had images of a Chocobo mount interrupting his opponents.

Then, Aeric felt two puncture wounds on his neck.

:shock:

What in the...

Aeric, glancing up, is able to see Mogwai prepare to unleash powerful spells with the assistance of difficult abilities. The Red Mage can't help but smirk. It must've been her that saved him.

I guess we're even now, Moogle. The Red Mage thought to himself and after realizing that he wasn't going to win this war sitting on his bottom, rose up and drew his weapons.

Aeric can't help himself and staggers.

The weapons felt clumsy in his hands, as if he'd never used them before. He also was quick to realize that some of the skills he developed overtime were no longer refined. Aeric felt himself worry a bit. In vain, Aeric attempted to cast a spell but neither had the magical competance or the knowledge of spells.

Aerics worry turned into mild concern. He did not feel physically weak in a sense, just very... common. For a moment, while looking around, Aeric understood the fear of not being able to defend yourself from a greater adversary. He came to appreciate the relief and joy that came with being saved by an adventurer.

Smiling, Aeric sat back. He was proud to see his friends fighting to defend the city and was honored to be a part of the battle, even if for the moment he was on the sidelines. And though it seemed that Mogwai had drained Aeric of his abilities, the young Moogle had actually given him a gift.

Aeric was ready to be a hero again.
My PbP Bazaar:
Spoiler:
Crimson Linkpearl (ch.2)
Aeric
Tough

Postby urthdigger on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:57 pm

As Rosalyn and the immortals took care of the nearby situation, I flew up above the beastmen forces to take out those further back. With just a wave of my paw, I froze beastmen after beastmen, cackling maniacally.
"Freeze! Freeze! Ahahahahaha! You there, stop running! FREEZE! Hahaha, get it?"
With the combined efforts of myself, the immortals, and the adventurers at the gate, the beastmen started to flee. Just in time too, my abilities had faded and I was having to resort to actually take the time to cast.

I returned to the group, a little drained, and heard someone clapping from up above.
"Excellent work there, my little vampire." remarked the dark moogle.
"What the hell are you doing here? Free- err... hold on... what can I cast...."
"I just completed my mission and was on my way out, and I thought I see what you were introduced. I do believe we never properly introduced ourselves earlier, what with trying to kill each other. My name is Maxwell."
"I'm Mogwai. DIE!" I shouted, using the last of my magic to cast a stone spell. He pretty much ignored it.
"By the way, you adventurers, if you are wondering how your puny little friend was casting spells just now, take a good look at your red mage. Seems someone was a little hungry, haha!"
He flew off, but I didn't pursue. Even if I did catch up to him, what then? I didn't take that much from Aeric... the ritual was only going to last a few more minutes. Instead, I landed on the ground, and walked back to the group, a little ashamed. I felt exposed since there was no hiding it at this point. At the time, I wondered what they'd think of me.
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby RosalynSable on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Rosalyn paid the dark furred moogle no mind, it wasn't Stiltzkin so she really didn't care what his deal was. She was walking away from the group of Blue Mages when she passed the moogle that had been with Aeric. The moogle seemed deeply upset by something, probably what the dark moogle had been shouting about.

Rosalyn's tail twitched and she shrugged her shoulders. "So what if we're monsters," she said aloud. "So long as we have someone to protect, we're still heros." Rosalyn reached into her pack and pulled out some medicines. "Take one for yourself and Aeric, I've got unfinished business to take care of."

After handing the medicine off to the moogle, Rosalyn focused on the skills of thieves and began running towards Whitegate. She moved incredibly fast, leaving monsters and adventurers in her wake as she made her way to the ramparts seperating Whitegate and Al Zahbi. The doors were closed tightly, and a contingency of troops were pushing back an even larger group of monsters. Rosalyn didn't have the time to help secure the area to open the door, there was only one way into the city.

Rosalyn rushed the ramparts and began focusing on her next spell. She made a leap, and put all of her strength into her next spell that she fired off below her. The Cannonball slammed into the ground with a tremendous thud and the force of the casting launched Rosalyn high into the air. At the apex of her flight she focued on her next spell, enveloping herself in a barrier of feathers that slowed her descent. She landed lightly on top of the ramparts and scanned the skyline.

"Where did he go...?" Rosalyn asked herself, unable to find where Joseph disappeared to.

"I hope you don't expect to escape this time," a voice called out from across the rampart. Joseph was slowly walking across as he drew his weapons.

"The same could be said to you."

---

Down below in Al Zahbi, the door to the Hall of Binding opened long enough to release five soldiers before they shut again.

"I don't know why we had to go through that way," an elvaan said, "They could have opened the main gate long enough to let us through."

"We only got in because this section of the city had been cleared, there's a larger assault at the main gate. Some people have reported seeing a dragon." a hume carrying a bow replied.

A large galka let out a ringing laugh. "Dragons? Surely you're joking."

"Dragons or not," a mithra interjected, "this battle has gone on long enough."

"I couldn't agree more," another hume said as he pulled out his scythe.

The Serpent Generals had arrived in Al Zahbi.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

PreviousNext

Return to Role-Playing