FFXI PbP: Chapter 6

FFXI PbP: Chapter 6

Postby urthdigger on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:43 am

With new weapons, the team is prepared for their battle with Germaine. But will they succeed?

---

Minutes in the future... but not many
Mogwai arrives at her room to find a note taped to the door. "It's time for the final battle to determine who gets to go after Altrage. We're doing this. We're making it happen."

Mogwai ripped the note off the door, checked that her gun was ready to draw, and flew up the stairs of the inn, kicking open the door at the top leading to the roof. Aeric was standing there, dressed in his red mage finery, his new sword at his side.

"Alright, what's this all about?" asked Mogwai
"Simple." replied Aeric "Winner goes after Altrage. Loser goes home."
"Are you sure you want to do this?" said Mogwai, her paw inching towards her gun regardless "We should wait for this until after we've defeated Germaine, this is madness!"
"Madness?" said Aeric, a gleam in his eye and his fist clenched "This! Is! BCG!"

----

Hours in the past... but not many
Dom Kupelaire was having a restful sleep. His ever conflicting aspects were at their worst right now. Suddenly, he jerked awake and cried out "The sky will fall, and the seas will run red with blood!" before falling back asleep. "Mmm... tacos."

----

Days in the future... but not many

Mogriffon was approached by a pair of the MHMU's jail guards "Feeding time." yelled one, as a plate of food was passed through a slot in the door.
"Mmm... rare, and bloody. Just like I like it. Nice to see confinement isn't all that bad."
"Hah, you got no company besides us and the occasional wayward moogle who needs to be taught what they'll become if they keep disobeying the law. I'd say that sucks."
"Speaking of that last girl... what happened to her?"
"First to be considered stable enough to continue living among adventurers."
"Is that so... I'd like to see her."
"Fat chance, she's got better things to do and you're stuck in here."
"...I'd like you to unlock the cell."

The guards noticed something odd in his voice, and the one who had been talking felt himself compelled to comply. He grabbed the keys from his belt, and opened the cell door.

"Good. Now remove my chains."

The guard unlocked Mogriffon's chains

"Excellent. Now... I want you to shoot your partner."

----

Mid and his companions looked at the work they'd done during the night. It'd taken some work, but the magicite powered gun was now complete. All that was left was to field test it.
My blog: Diary of a mad galka monk!
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Blog: View Blog (233)
World: Unicorn
Nation: Bastok
Title: Paragon of Monk Excellence
Jobs: MNK75 DNC75

Re: FFXI PbP: Chapter 6

Postby OMEGA_HACK on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:27 am

♫ Nox Arcana - Calliope ♫

High up in the skies a pair of oddly dressed Tarutaru one female and one male, hopped along. The male was dressed in all black with black face paint. The black paint also covered all of his visible arms and legs making only a white tattoo of Carbuncle that rested on his forehead stand out. On the other hand the female Tarutaru was dressed in all white with white paint covering all her visible skin. While a black tattoo of Diabolos rested across her neck. They pranced about searched for clues to the mysterious Magic that was bestowed upon them, hoping that they would be able to learn more Forbidden Magics.

♫ "Tu'lia must have the answers we seek," sang the male Tarutaru.

"So we must sneak a peek," chimed the female Tarutaru.

"La~la, de~de da~dum~" ♫ They sang together prancing across the a bed of flowers, making sure to trample each and every one of them.

"Oh look this flower is most pretty," said the female Tarutaru hesitating from stomping a flower.

"Oh look that flower is can be become quite gritty," said the male Tarutaru stomping on the flower until it was broken into little bits.

"Dreary deary I think there is nothing to be found," the female Tarutaru said reluctantly.

"So let's sneak inside without making a sound," the male Tarutaru piped. The two began to make their advance to a nearby door way that led into the palace.

♫ "Tu'lia must have the answers we seek," the male Tarutaru began again.

"So inside we go to sneak a peek!" the female sang along.

"La~la de~de da~dum!" ♫
OMEGA_HACK
Tough

Blog: View Blog (7)
World: Shiva
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Pursuer of the Truth
Jobs: DRG + COR + SCH

Postby RosalynSable on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:47 pm

((♪ Muse - Uprising))

Volt'aire stood in front of his companions out in the biting cold of the Far North. With his biotechnological weapons handed out and the Moogles' gun completed they were ready to move out. He made a quick headcount and noticed one missing.

"Where's the Red Mage?" he asked aloud, but there was only slight murmering coming from the group. "Alright, fine, he'll just have to make his own way there." The Zilartian turned away from the group and held up his hands, focusing on his magic. The air no more than five yalms in front of them split and stretched open as Volt'aire opened up a passageway. The view on the other side of the door was that of Tu'Lia and a warm breeze blew through against the cold mid morning air.

"He can't hold the portal open for long," Resha snapped, "Move out!" she slipped through the doorway and stepped out into Ru'Aun Gardens. Rosalyn and the rest of the adventures marched through and spread out with their weapons at the ready. They moved swiftly and coordinated like a special task force as they made their way toward the Shrine of Ru'Avitau.

Volt'aire, still standing out in the cold northlands made one last gaze over the landscape and stepped through the portal which snapped shut behind him.

The Zilart held up his crimson linkpearl. "Locke, can you hear me?"

"Loud and clear, V'."

"We've made it safely to Tu'Lia, we're going to begin our search of the island and hopefully he won't evade us this time."

The ground below their feet began to rumble and shake.

"That can't be good," Rosalyn's voice chimed through the pearl.

"He must be in the Celestial Nexus," Locke shouted, "I'm on my way there!"

"Don't engage without the rest of us," Volt'aire replied. Static sparked across the linkpearl and it went dead.
To be forgotten is worse than death.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (78)
World: Lakshmi
Nation: Windurst
Title: Doctor Shantotto Supporter
Jobs: Blu90 Sch90 Pup75 Drg60 Dnc40

Postby urthdigger on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:01 pm

(This morning)
Maxwell stretched and gave Micro a hug as he woke up. Everything was going according to plan: Now that one of the group trusted him, the rest would follow suit soon enough. The effects of mating on the psyche of a human were interesting to say the least: causing either extreme contempt, or extreme closeness. He felt he had achieved the latter. Of course, he considered himself above such attachments: While he did enjoy being near Micro, she came second only to his goals.

(In the near past)

Mogwai went over to Mid's to pick up the gun. Along with came Urthdigger, Rosalyn, Kupachi, Micro, and Maxwell. The gun itself looked amazing, the myrhh giving the mythril a rich light-blue hue.
"It's quite a simple mechanism really, kupo!" babbled Mid as they came by "See, the trigger mechanism does little more than open a door for the concrentated dark energies to pour out, the force of their concentration ensuring it goes in a more or less straight line. Of course, it's all just theory, kupo."
"Well, you've done some great work here Mid" said Maxwell "Now, if nobody objects, I think I should be the one to wield it against Germaine."
"Why you?" asked Urthdigger
"Without my diplomacy, you wouldn't have the magicite for this. Besides, he wrecked my home."
"Fine, I don't care who wields it." said Urthdigger "Thank you Mid, for your hard work. If there's anything we can do..."
"Oh, you've already delivered some supplies here, kupo, and I did not have to use all the myrrh. You've done more than help... in fact, I have a little extra for the vampirina."
Mogwai was flustered by the 'vampirina' comment "I am not a vampire!"
"Haha, true, true, but it's how you're known among us now. Anyway, I'd like to give you one of my specialty guns. It should do better than what you've got."

Mid brought out a rack of guns, with cards detailing a few of them. Eventually Mogwai found one she liked: A gun called Sol, that used the power of sunlight to banish enemies. "I'll pick Sol. Stupid vampire nickname, let's see them call me that when I fight with sunlight."
Mid laughed "Well, it's partnered with Luna: If you take one, you must take both. Sol only works during the day, and Luna only works during the night. I'd hate for you to be unable to use your gun at a critical moment."
Grumbling slightly, Mogwai took Luna as well. "Hey Kupachi... here, you can have my old gun." she said, handing off her Goug Mkwhatever "Now you don't have to hide so much." Kupachi smiled at his present, and thanked Mogwai

(Present)

((Music - Cave Story: Scorching Back))

Urthdigger could feel the ground shake as they stepped onto Tu'lia. Something wasn't right here... but still, he did like being here regardless. "We need to stay on our toes here. Damn place feels like it's falling apart. Not only would cave-ins be a problem, but the sentry devices are likely on high alert now. Still, it'd have to get a fair bit worse before we have to worry about the place falling down on our heads. You'll notice this place looks similar to the crags. In actuality, they're all made out of a common substance: Cermet, an ancient compound designed by the zilart and used in a lot of their creations. Even today, the best alchemists of Bastok have no idea how it's made: They just know how to salvage and re-use existing cermet found in golems, pots, and dolls. Oddly enough, large cermet structures have a tendency to draw animated weapons to them... it's rumored their magical nature has an attraction to the substance."
"Who asked for the history lecture?" asked Maxwell
"He's always like this..." groaned Mogwai "And he was doing so well at hiding it up until now."

((Abrupt music shift: Tales of Symphonia: Raine -Relical Mode!-))

"By far the most known cermet structures are those found in the crags of Dem, Holla, and Mea. These zilartian structures are connected to Delkfutt's Tower, as well as Ro'maeve, through a cermet pipeline commonly referred to as the crystal line. They also used to be connected to the crags of Vahzl and Al'taieu, as well as Fei'yin, supposedly, though there isn't much of that evidence in present day."
"Seriously, does he ever shut up?" groaned Maxwell
"Now, look over here, and you can see one of the many teleporters used to get around Tu'lia. It's still in working order, though watch your step and try not to fall off the side of the island. It can be disorienting to newcomers to figure out how to get around, but you can get the hang of it soon enough..."
"Mind if I push him off the ledge?" asked Maxwell
"Yes, I DO mind!" snapped Mogwai
"Ah... right. Galka don't fly." said Maxwell with a chuckle.
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby OMEGA_HACK on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:09 am

♫ Sorry ♫

Altrage walked through the portal that Volt'aire had created. The smells of the flowers all seemed too familiar to him. Was this really it? He had only been in the company of these people yet they offered such friendship and trust--well, appearing trust-- towards him. They all struggled to find a reason for their gifts and their powers. Altrage however held the burden of a thousand lost souls or more on his shoulders. How could one live with such a burden, he alone caused the grief of an entire nation. Looking back on his actions he knew that there was no exception and no reasoning great enough to justify what he did to the lives of the innocent. Still he carried on, by defeating this creature, this demon, he would attempt to find solace in this whole ordeal.

He looked up and saw the main entrance of the Palace. A series of spires reaching up into the air, Altrage took a step closer separating himself from the ever so informed Galka and the group. In front of them was the long walkway that led to that place where destinies would be forged. He could see the Palace Guardian Dolls laying motionless in their alcoves on either side of the walkway. He could feel raw energy seeping from all directions. He peered towards the doorway and noticed two specks hoping along as if there was nothing amiss.

"You two, it's not safe in there!" he yelled out to them. They stopped immediately and turned to face the Dragoon. Altrage's immediately grew excited at the two Tarutaru's faces. One was dressed entirely in black with a white tattoo and the other was in all white with a black tattoo, both located on their faces. He drew Gungnir and raced over to them. This would be his atonement.
OMEGA_HACK
Tough

Postby Linear on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:29 am

((Yuki Kajiura - Fatal Fight))

<Early Morning>
Linear shot up from his bed, his holy crest searing. It was pulsating and he knew the end was near. As he grew accustomed the the pain he let himself drop back to his pillow and stared at the ceiling. 'Are you watching, Claidi? Was this your plan, Altana? Sacrifice her and lead me here? Doesn't matter I suppose. In the end... I'm just a pawn, aren't I. Or have I become something of a knight now?' The dragoon sighed in frustration and prepared himself for the upcoming battle.

<Present>
The shaking ground didn't bode very well for Linear. He or Altrage could easily snap an ankle if they landed a jump at the wrong moment. 'That doesn't matter for now. Worry when me get to him.' he shook his head to clear the ill thoughts. He looked at Rosalyn. "Rosalyn, I never thanked you for saving me during the gigas attack. So, thanks." With that out of the way, he was completely void of any regrets, should the worst happen.

He had his Valkyrie fork drawn already, prepared to act at a moments notice. Altrage yelled something, and dashed off towards a pair of Tarutaru. "Altrage, what are you doing?!" he shouted. He sighed and took off after his comrade.
Linear
Tough

Blog: View Blog (4)
World: Caitsith
Title: The Lost One
Jobs: Dragoon Warrior Samurai

Postby Darkvalkyr on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:30 am

Earlier...
Having managed to sleep whatever few hours he could, Rainwhisker got off his bed and went outside the inn, looking at the blue hue cover the entire city and the sky. Footsteps came from behind him -- the Deathclaw knew well enough that it was Raa Laka. He turned around to open his mouth but the Yagudo quickly handed him a letter. He looked at the parchment. It was fresh and it was tied up neatly. He looked at the Yagudo, questioningly.

"Li'Rha wanted me to give you this before you fight." he started. Again, someone saw that he would come here -- Li'Rha herself was a strange one, being able to see glimpses of the future. "I am not going with you." Raa Laka also bluntly followed.

"But...why?" the Deathclaw quickly asked.

"Since the very beginning, this was your fight. All I can do is guide you. This is the most crucial part. From this point, it is up to you." he turned around and started walking off.

"Wait!" he chased after him and grabbed the Yagudo by the shoulder. "Then why'd you come this far then? Didn't you want to see this until the end?"

The bird shot him a stare behind his shoulder. A tender flash came in his eyes. "As your friend, it is my duty to guide you. As your guide, I leave your future in your hands from here. It is up to you. It has always been in your control. I cannot change you. Only you can." He had readied an instant warp scroll and vanished behind the void that engulfed him.
----
((Opening of a Journey - Kenji Ito))
My friend, I see what others do not.

In you, I see a struggle.

To push or to pull, you do not know.

Now you let winds and waves move you.

It began with a trick of doubt.

And the trail led you here.

...I shall speak truth here on. I cannot say much else. I leave your interpretation to yourself. I only wish for you to grow strength and move the waves yourself. Which way you move them is in your hands. But I will speak this; an emptiness clouds your heart. On your soul, I saw a mark. A strange marking of unknown origin. Do take care friend, I await your return.

The blindseer surprises once again. To be able to write...though the letter made little or no sense to him, what made sense was important; there was something in his soul -- something...alien. As he surmised this, it was time to go.

---
The ground shook at Tu'Lia, and Rainwhisker nearly tripped over onto the cermet floor. Next thing he knew, Altrage was running at two individuals -- Tarutaru, from the looks of it. He quickly noticed that both of the child-like people had Tatoos. Within minutes, Rainwhisker had readied his claws and dashed after Altrage.

What...what are they? he questioned.

They are...like you... the voice came, burning heat seemed to take over the Deathclaw as he ran.

What do you mean? I...

Like the woman of ice...we are no different.

Wh--WHAT ARE YOU!? these riddles -- everyone only spoke riddles! Nothing made sense to him. Why can't you just tell me what you are?
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby RosalynSable on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:42 pm

"Why are we breaking rank!?" Rosalyn yelled as half of her companions dashed off after Altrage. She noticed the pair of Taru in the distance and smelled something strange in the air. Her head pounded for a moment as the wyrm inside her stirred and thought nothing of it.

Volt'aire approached her seconds later. "The linkpearls are dead, I'm getting nothing but static. The island is losing power and Locke is moving alone to confront Germaine. We are running out of time."

Resha punched a nearby wall, leaving cracks in the cermet. "What are we going to do? We need all the firepower we've got to take out Germaine."

Rosalyn looked at the remaining group. "Urth, Mogwai, Maxwell, Micro and myself will head into the palace and aid Locke. Valkyr, Altrage, and Linear are up there about to fight those two Taru, so they must have something to do with Altrage. You two stay here and back them up, if the woman we fought in the woods is any indication they're going to need the help."

Rosalyn looked to her group and motioned. "Come on, they're standing between us and the Shrine so we need to move as soon as there's an opening."
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby Microcuts on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:13 pm

"I too will stay and help those restless half wits," said Gauldeval, scratching his head out of frustration. "Our Signal Pearls aren't working in here either. Splitting up would be the worst thing we could do right now, but I suppose it's too late for that talk."

Gauldeval and Micro nodded to one another and went on their separate ways.
RosalynSable wrote:Smoke some mognip to forget your troubles.
Microcuts
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (47)
World: Leviathan
Title: Bucket Fisher
Jobs: [75 WAR][68 BLU]

Postby urthdigger on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am

Mogwai growled as Altrage ran off to face the tarutaru. "Damnit Altrage, you better survive those two so I can kill you!"

She held Sol up and recharged it's battery before flying after Urthdigger and Rosalyn.
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby OMEGA_HACK on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:14 pm

♫ Assassin's Creed 2 - Flight over Venice II ♫

"I have come to atone for my sins. Altana may you guide my soul and give me peace!" Altrage cried out as he leaped into the air. Unryu let out a roar as well and dove towards Altrage. His claws clutched Altrage's metal shoulder guards and with all the Wyvern's strength it spun underneath the Dragoon releasing at the key moment to send Altrage flying higher into the air. His armor glistened in the sun as he reached the highest point in his Jump. He took Gae Bolg and launched it at the Female Tarutaru. She quickly rolled to the side to avoid the blow; watching at the lance cracked the spot where she once stood.

"Oh deary, deared looks like this one is to be quite feared!" She exclaimed with a laugh.

"We shall help you atone for your sin, by giving us the ultimate win!" the Male Tarutaru laughed. He placed his hand on his tattoo and it began to glow bright white. Altrage began his decent, he drew Gungnir once more diving trident end first at the male Tarutaru. Just before he landed ten more identical Tarutaru appeared from seemingly no where and the male Tarutaru was able to avoid the Jump attack. Altrage landed standing on the tip of Gungnir, the clones were all jumping in to attack but Gungnir was firmly stuck in the Cermet floor. He jumped back into the air to dodge the attack from all sides, watching as the cloned Tarutaru all missed him. But Altrage was still on the defense he drew his last spear, the one that was recently given to him and launched it at a clone. The lance made contact and the clone disappeared into white dust.

Now Altrage was really defenseless as the next wave of attacks were coming onto him. He dove towards the ground taking a few blows from the clones as they jumped past him. As he became close to smashing the ground he grabbed the end of Gungnir's handle and used his momentum to spin around handle causing the lance to loosen. As he spun around the lance for the second time the weapon became loose from the Cermet sending him flying horizontally towards Gae Bolg. He quickly put up Gungnir and performed the same feat with Gae Bolg as he did with Gungnir launching himself towards his last weapon. By now though his momentum had died down and he had to physically lift up on the spear to remove it from the Cermet.

He could hear the footsteps of some of his comrades behind him as they joined the fray. Now the battle would seem just slightly more fair. With nine clones still remaining, as well as the two original Tarutaru, this would prove to be quite the difficult fight. Altrage sighed and rushed back into the fray.
OMEGA_HACK
Tough

Postby Darkvalkyr on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:47 pm

From afar, Rainwhisker saw the clones appear and surround Altrage. He quickened his pace and made his way over to the battlefield, and began imagining a volcano, ready to burst. Flames welled inside his body and from his mouth came forth a burning, sulfurous flame that engulfed 3 more of the clones, who all vanished. Several clones tried to jump on him from behind, but his tail, now alight with flame and lava, swung behind him with such force that it knocked some flying and down onto the cermet floor. He saw Altrage weaponless and took several spears that jutted out from the floor and tossed them at his direction. This left him open briefly that one of the Tarutaru clones managed to slash upwards, cutting at the Deathclaw's torso. It sliced through his jubbah and it exposed his upper body, which had on it a strange tattoo. He retaliated by kicking the Taru away and he looked at it curiously. "I never noticed that before..." he muttered under his breath, then roared as he charged back into battle.
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby Linear on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:58 am

Linear slammed down in the middle of the crowd of clones and slashed in a large circle, forcing the miniture monsters away. He followed through with the slash and cleaved a clone in half before readying himself for an attack.
Linear
Tough

Blog: View Blog (4)
World: Caitsith
Title: The Lost One
Jobs: Dragoon Warrior Samurai

Postby urthdigger on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Maxwell waved the others off "Go, I'll catch up. I'm going to help them out real quick..."

Rushing off within range of the tarutaru, he aimed the magicite gun at them. Truth be told, guns were not his forte, but nonetheless he still knew at least how to aim. He fired one blast at the female taru, then started firing at the male's clones. One of them had to be the real one. After he finished his salvo, he rushed off to join the others on their pursuit of Germaine, not even checking to see if his last shot had hit.
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby RosalynSable on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:20 pm

Locke entered the Celestial Nexus and was almost blown off of his feet. Raw energy was flowing from the large crystal towards the center of the ceiling where the Blue Soul was soaking it in. Germaine was situated across the room waiting. He smiled when he saw Locke and began clapping his hands.

"Congratulations, you've reached the end," Germaine stepped forward toward the center of the room. "But before you can claim the prize you seek you'll have to get past me."

"Are you not done masquerading around as me?" Locked asked as he took a few steps forward.

"This visage still has some uses," Germaine admitted, "and I must thank you for the abilities its lent me for the duration," Germaine reached outward and spread his wings as far as they could, "they've been quite useful."

Locke clenched his fists tight at his sides, his shadow underneath his feet bristling. "I will pluck those wings from you one feather at a time."

"You want them back that bad? Is one who has wallowed in the darkness such as yourself so worthy of them?"

Locke struck out, thousands of needles eminating from his feet piercing toward Germaine. They stopped suddenly as they struck into a sword large enough to protect Germaine's entire body. As Locke retracted his shadow Germaine moved his hand, the giant blade moving in the air just inches from his finger's reach. The blade spun lazily, ready to be deployed.

"You who are so tainted in darkness," Locke said, "Who are you to talk about me? Like the pot calling the kettle black."

Germaine simply grinned as the strong energies pulsed high above them.

Locke let out a long breathe and this shadow began wrapping up his legs. It flowed over his entire body until he was totally encased. His armor, his skin, and his weapon took on a darker tone and his eyes pierced out from the darkness, a brilliant gold behind the visor of his Anwig Salade. He crouched down slightly taking up a feral stance, whisps of shadow drifting around him.

"I will show you what makes us different."
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Next

Return to Role-Playing