FFXI PbP: Chapter 6

Re: FFXI PbP: Chapter 6

Postby Microcuts on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Unable to do much against a foe that is in flight, Micro stood watching, feeling a bit helpless. In the distance she spotted Linear launching an unsuccessful assault while Rosalyn struggled with her new weapon.

"All war is based on deception, they say..." she murmured to herself. As if she had come up with an idea, she clenched her fist and turned towards Germaine.

"HEY GERMAINE! NEED MORE SOULS? COME AND GET IT!" Micro roared and taunted, trying to draw his attention with a voice loud enough to ring above any and all commotions of the battle field.

At the other side of the battlefield, Gauldeval limped out to the scene from one of the structures supporting himself on his light staff, his tunic in rags. He approached Rosalyn as she made her way towards Germaine once again.

"Get to a better location first and wait until she has his complete attention," he pointed at Micro who was desperately trying to provoke Germaine. "Make your shot count; you can't miss."
RosalynSable wrote:Smoke some mognip to forget your troubles.
Microcuts
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (47)
World: Leviathan
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Bucket Fisher
Jobs: [75 WAR][68 BLU]

Postby RosalynSable on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Rosalyn nodded to the old adventurer and started looking for somewhere to attack from.

"I need to find somewhere higher, somewhere I can look down at him from..." Rosalyn dashed off in the opposite direction, hoping she could get to a good location in time.

Meanwhile, high above, Germaine turned in the air and directed himself toward the group once more. He opened his maw and let out a piercing screech and with it fired Linear's polearm from his beak. The weapon slammed into the ground mere ilms in front of Micro barely missing the intended target.

Germaine swooped down and flapped his massive wings hard as his gargantuan body tocuched ground. Despite being avian he moved sinuously toward the group and slammed his beak down into the ground in an attempt to peck Microcuts into oblivion. He then flapped his wings hard and started lifting back up into the air.
To be forgotten is worse than death.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (78)
World: Lakshmi
Nation: Windurst
Title: Doctor Shantotto Supporter
Jobs: Blu90 Sch90 Pup75 Drg60 Dnc40

Postby Darkvalkyr on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:13 am

The Deathclaw's lips curved into a smirk, watching as Germaine's form began to wail, weaken and bleed. He watched as traces of Germaine's power seeped thickly out into the air. Seeing an opening as the gigantic creature swept down towards Micro, he lit his arms ablaze and threw spheres of lava aimed at Germaine's back, singing and burning through dark flesh. "Keep fighting, Germaine..." he spoke, softly. "We're both bringing ourselves as far as our limits...and here you are, dying...you've awakened my strength, as a tool to be used. Ironic, isn't it?" From his fiery hands, he let loose many more projectiles, aimed at Germaine as he flew back up into the air, some blazing into his wings. "You shall soon be my tool...when you're all but nothing."
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby RosalynSable on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Germaine's body writhed in agony for a moment before mounds of flesh poured from his wounds onto the ground. The black rotting flesh twisted and formed into more Diremites that scattered in every direction attacking in a frenzy. Germaine's wounds had closed and he was in the process of lifting up into the air once more.

"Stay down," Rosalyn said aloud, high above the battlefield situated on one of the pillars rising from the palace. She gripped her weapon in both hands this time and took a firmer stance. She breathed in slowly and exhaled.

Time it correctly. You have all the time in the world... 30...

Germaine was gaining altitude as he flapped his wings hard, kicking up galeforce winds around the adventurers.

The barrel of the gun began to shine as it collected energy, preparing for the shot.

Time slowed to a screeching halt and the last few seconds seemed to take forever as the shot became less and less clear as Germaine lifted from the ground

"Citadel Buster!" Rosalyn fired the lance of pure white downward where it pierced Germaine's head and slammed the monster back into the ground. The lance of energy pinned him down as he struggled and his body churned and twisted until finally it stopped.

Rosalyn yelled triumphantly, almost falling off of the tower in the process, and waved down to the group below.

((♫"Libera Me" From Hell - Gurren Lagann))

The ground began to rumble and shake violently and even high up on the tower Rosalyn had to brace herself. Down below, Germaine moved once more. He ripped his head back up, he spear of light still piercing through his head, and immediately took flight. The light was absorbed inside of him much like Linear's weapon and with a mighty screech Germaine returned the blast on Rosalyn. The footing underneath her exploded and she was tossed to the air.

Everything seemed to move so slowly, the debris that moved outward and the fire that roared below her. Everything was nearing a standstill, aside from Germaine. The black beast was already upon her with his beak open wide. Rosalyn barely had time to unconciously react, twisting in the air and gripping the corners of her mantle. It billowed open and the mithra soared into the air on the heat wave from the explosion beneath her. Her heart beat heavy in her ears, the only sound she could hear as Germaine crashed through the remaining portion of the tower and made a quick one-eighty not by turning, but by changing his shape so he was facing her once more. He launched himself upward towards Rosalyn who was still ascending on the updraft.

As the beast drew near Rosalyn released her cape and fell downward to meet Germaine. She twisted her body, narrowly missing him as he flew by. As she plummited she fired repeatedly on Germaine's underside and slashed at his clutching talons. After safely passing she gripped her cape once more and glided through the air once more. Germaine howled in rage and made a long arcing turn as he retargeted Rosalyn and swooped downward at amazing speed. The mithra looked back over her shoulder in time to see the creatue narrowing in. She released her mantle once more and focused quickly, firing a blast of blue magic downward with cannonball force. She rocketed upward from the force and blew past Germaine, landing on his back long enough to drag her blades down him lengthwise and jump off as she reached the end.

As she fell through the air once more she realized that all the damage she had caused was already beginning to heal. The outer layer of the creature was not easily penetrated, and when it was it simply reformed as if it were a sentient slime. Rosalyn propelled herself back into the air with another cannonball and flipped as she reached the height of her ascent. She caught a glimpse of Germaine below her, flying straight upward as Rosalyn began to fall. The mithra focused as hard as she could and reached back her fist.

"Ultimate Blue Magic!"

As they drew closer Germaine opened his maw wide, ready to swallow Rosalyn as if she were nothing more than a lowly tunnel worm. A bright azure glow surrounded Rosalyn's fist and grew with intensity the closer she came to the open mouth.

"GOBLIN PUUUUUNCH!"

Rosalyn threw her fist as she was swallowed whole by Germaine. She continued her descent into a dark abyss, writhing masses of tentacles trying to wrap around her and consume her, but her fist drove through them all. The only thing that illuminated the vastness of the beast's insides was the azure glow from Rosalyn's fist that obliterated everything that it came in contact with. She soared for what seemed like an eternity until finally, in the center of the black crawling flesh she came into an opening where the cracked Blue Soul rested. Still guided by her fist, Rosalyn slammed into the Blue Soul, halting all movement. Sparks flew and an opposing force pushed against her punch, trying to push her back. With a scream of defiance, Rosalyn put all she had into it, and broke through, splitting the Blue Soul in half.

Outside, Germaine exploded in a massive blue burst that sent a shockwave reeling outward as far as the eye could see.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby urthdigger on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Maxwel clapped as he saw the explosion, hanging back a bit as Mogwai, Kupachi, and Urth dealt with the diremites. "Well... that's that. The threat to the allied forces and the beastmen has been eliminated, kupo." He smiled at Micro "Hey Micro, come over here for a second."

As the only adventurer in the group that trusted him came over, Maxwel drew his greatsword and held it over her throat, holding her close to him with the other paw. "Maxwel! What are you doing!" cried out the hume.

"I'm sorry... but I know how this is going to play out. You all are going to go back to your nations and be hailed as heroes... and meanwhile the parts us moogles played in this will be forgotten. There's only one way for us to get the respect we deserve... and that's if we're the only survivors, kupo."

"So you seek to become a hero by being a traitor?" asked Urthdigger

"Traitor implies I was on your side to begin with. I'm a servant of the beastmen remember? All my life I've had to deal with the moogles being a joke, something nobody takes seriously. I can't stand it, kupo. And I'll kill whoever I have to in order to get the respect we deserve."

He looked at Micro and felt a small twinge of regret. He whispered to her "Look... stay out of this, and I won't hurt you. I have to do this however... it's my only chance."

He tossed Microcuts off to the side and activated the signet ring. A dark aura surrounded him, filling him with strength. He unfurled his wings, actually flying for the first time, and broke the magicite gun, letting the raw magicite sicken the adventurers. "Hah... I think for the first time, I'm going to go all out. Prepare to die, kupo."
My blog: Diary of a mad galka monk!
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Blog: View Blog (233)
World: Unicorn
Nation: Bastok
Title: Paragon of Monk Excellence
Jobs: MNK75 DNC75

Postby RosalynSable on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Volt'aire pointed dramatically. "Mammets! Go!"

The six remaining dolls did nothing, and the Zilart coughed.

Esha'ntarl nodded and the the six Mammets ran in to attack the moogle.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby Linear on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:50 pm

"You little..." Linear growled. He was too weak. Even if he managed to get to his lance, there was no way he'd be able to pull it from the ground. 'Wait, that stuff only worked on the allied races.'

"Fine. HIMMELSKRALLE!" he called. As his wyvern approached he explained, "For all intents and purposes, he's a monster. He's unaffected by.. whatever this stuff is." He reached up and ran a hand over his companions head and said softly, "If he attacks any of us, attack him... Give it your best. Kill if necessary."
Linear
Tough

Blog: View Blog (4)
World: Caitsith
Title: The Lost One
Jobs: Dragoon Warrior Samurai

Postby urthdigger on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Maxwel raised his greatsword in one hand and flew towards the charging mammets, slashing at them as they passed. As he finished his follow-through, he was annoyed by a chi blast smacking him in the back.

"Oh you little !@#$%&, kupo!" cried Maxwel. He turned around, stopped to quickly backhand the wyvern swooping down behind him, and landed on the ground. "I threw you once big guy..." he kupoed, hurling himself at the galka and piercing him with the sword "I CAN DO IT AGAIN!"

He swung the greatsword up, hurling Urthdigger into the air, then quickly flew up and smacked him even higher. Flying with unprecedented speed he caught up and hurled the galka all the way to the ground, before flinging himself down and landing sword first on him.

The moogle took the sword out of Urth's chest... surprisingly the galka was still alive. "Urth!" cried Mogwai

"Go ahead... I know what you want to do, kupo. Soon this whole ground will be covered in their blood... drink of it, and you might just beat me. Of course, by doing so you'll make them all the easier for me to kill. Make the choice."
My Userpage
My LS community page
Sparkk wrote:if there's a decrepit moblin in a dead end maze somewhere that wants his shoes back and gives you 8 gil reward.... Urth has met him. And found his shoes.
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby Darkvalkyr on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:40 pm

The Deathclaw slumped, fangs still bared. He could barely muster the energy to move - but all that air was just full of the remnants of Germaine's destruction - and he couldn't even take it. He roared at the Moogle - yet another thorn in his way. If he could only move, he would tear him into pieces. It's then Maxwell had made an offer that brought out a small, morbid chuckle. The mog's native ability to drain power from another - in a sense, they were like the blue mages, but naturally born.

Of course, such a decision was as natural as survival to beasts, because this is what that was - survival.

"Mogwai," he finally spoke. "You have to drain one of us." he looked at the Moogle. "It's the only way we can survive through this." Granted, it was likely that it would leave that person open...and that person may die.
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Postby RosalynSable on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:27 pm

After the furious blow from Maxwel the mammets took a moment to begin an auto-repair process, but it left them standing there and not reacting at all. Volt'aire was about to make a snide remark about Esha'ntarl making his mammets wrong, but decided it wasn't the right time or place anymore. Things had gone from bad to worse. Sure, Germaine could have eaten every one of their souls and went on a rampage to destroy the world possibly, but he was out of the picture now and the crazy moogle was the current threat. And no one had an advantage this time. Maxwel had barely expended any energy during the fight with Germaine, and in fact his sudden inevitable betrayal probably should have been foreseen. Hindsight, etc etc...

Volt'aire looked over to who was left of the group. The Dragoon was nearby, weaponless. Urth was injured and Mogwai now frantic and torn over the sudden moral dilema. Microcuts was still nearby, as was Locke. Valkyr, no, whatever he was now, was near as well but it seemed as though he had other plans in mind at the moment. Resha nearby was terse, no doubt throwing all of her will against the curse of the magicite. Rosalyn was.... where was she? That explosion... Volt'aire bit his lip. And the others that had joined them in combat earlier in the day were injured from the fight with the Empty Avatars, and presumably somewhere safe for the moment. After the quick headcount, Volt'aire realized they were one ally short.

The ground began to rumble. However, this time it was not from the island that was falling. This was a steady rumble. One, two, three, four. A beat along the ground that grew in intensity and speed as it grew closer. One two three four one two three four. Massive footfalls that rang with forboding dread. The Behemoth rounded a corner with agility that should not be possessed by a creature that size, its tail cracking like a whip as it caught up with the rest of the body changing direction. Eris, the Behemoth that had been cursed with human form by Germaine, had returned to her true form. As she approached with monsterous speed she skidded and launched her massive body up onto her hind legs, taking two large steps that immediately brought her to a halt in front of the group. She leaned over and let out a roar as massive as she was, a roar so loud that it shook Volt'aire to the core.

If one isn't familiar on the sociology of the Behemoth, it's rather easy to remember. First you have your young Behemoths. They're small, compared to the older ones of course, but still larger than any mortal and capable of putting up one hell of a fight. Then you have the Kaiser Behemoths, which are slightly older and larger. These were the ones used often during the Crystal Wars, they have reached the peak of their fighting capability while still capable of being controlled. Then you've got the King Behemoth, the largest and oldest Behemoth you'd ever encounter. There's usually only one of these between the adventurers after them for rare treasure and the infighting between the Behemoths to become top dog. But all of these Behemoth mentioned up to this point are male. Because a female Behemoth is about as rare as a male Mithra, and not because they're stuck at home playing the good parent. Female Behemoths are massive, easily making the King Behemoth appear small, and they are the most ferocious. So ferocious, in fact, that the male Behemoths go out of their way to avoid them at all costs unless it's mating season. When the females come to find them.

Volt'aire watched as Eris took another step closer.

"Is she still playing on our side?" Locke asked. He sounded winded, probably an effect from the dark magicite the Moogle was using against them.

"I hope so," Volt'aire nodded.

"She was revered as a god when she was last in that form. Maybe we should... sacrifice something to her?" Locke suggested.

It was true. Eris was perhaps the oldest, strongest, and wisest of all Behemoths, and quite possibly immortal after the things that Germaine had done to her. Not to mention the couple hundred years she had to train in the arts of the Samurai and martial arts and who knows what else she did while watching over Germaine's resting place she left him in. And, oh yeah, the fact that she single handedly took out Germaine at one point before that training. She had an entire countryside of people worshipping her, and faith is a powerful tool. Faith, belief, and human sacrifices and unknown dark magics could possibly have given Eris strength unknown. But... did she remember any of that now that she had been reverted to her original form?

Eris, the Behemoth, roared once more before bearing down on Maxwel.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby Linear on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Linear leapt. As he descended he shouted, "Hey, Maxwell! Up here!" The moogle looked up just in time to receive a drop kick inbetween his eyes. Linear kicked off and rolled to safety.
Linear
Tough

Blog: View Blog (4)
World: Caitsith
Title: The Lost One
Jobs: Dragoon Warrior Samurai

Postby urthdigger on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:58 pm

Maxwel recoiled from the hit, and laughed as the behemoth bore down on him "You seek to fight darkness with darkness? Look around you... these adventurers are weak. And this island is falling. Something of your power has no need to work with them... you could sate your hunger on them, and we could be off this island. Or you could fight me, and while I do not think I could best you, I do not believe you'd finish me off before the island crashing kills us both."

He smirked at Valkyr "And you... blue mage. So changed are you, I doubt the allies would take you back... why do you still work with them? What need have you for friends... you're a blue mage, even should they endure a millenia of torment as you absorb them, it'd be worth it to take that power for yourself. I have no quarrel with you, as you are no longer what you once were. Help me finish off your former friends and we can just escape. Just pretend they're like all those beastmen you've undoubtedly devoured."

----

Mogwai did a quick dance to summon a healing breeze over her master and knelt down by his side. She whispered something to him as he laid there, took her time performing the ritual, and drank his blood. Infused with her master's power, she ran up to Maxwel, punching him in the back of the head and causing him to turn around.
"Well now, the vampirina has shown her fangs."
Mogwai punched again, though it was quickly parried. She ducked under a swing of the renegade's greatsword and performed a quickstep, dazing him slightly. She quickly followed up with a violent flourish, striking his pom-pom and making him stagger. Finishing off, she side-stepped behind him, taking his arms and pulling them behind his back and bending them in an unnatural manner with a satisfying crack before lifting him as she bent over backwards, slamming him neckfirst into the ground with a devastating suplex.

Maxwel was quick to recover even from this, downing a potion and bringing up his greatsword "Damnit, that really hurt you know?"
My Userpage
My LS community page
urthdigger
Impossible to gauge!

Postby RosalynSable on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 pm

As Maxwel recovered from Mogwai's swift beating, Resha was slowly drawing closer to the black Magicite. The substance was pulsating sickeningly as its powerful effects washed over the adventurers. The closer she drew the slower she moved and the weaker she appeared to become. She was no more than a foot away from the ruined crystal when she collapsed to her knees. The look of pain on her face was enough to make Volt'aire shake with rage, but he dared not move on his own or make a sound. If he alerted Maxwel to her it could very well make things for the worse.

Closer to Maxwel, Eris pushed forward and tried to attack the moogle with her large horns and then swatted at him like a cat would with a ball of string. A very large cat. With Maxwel distracted once more, Resha desperately reached for the magicite, a red glow surrounding her outstretched hand. The glow grew brighter until it combusted and surrounded her hand in flames. That black magicite was Emptiness taken physical form. It was unholy and yet the adventurers didn't even know the half of it. Resha's hand slowly gripped the gem from the ruins of the gun and fought against the power emenating from it, trying to move with it in her hand. She was reaching her limits.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Postby Darkvalkyr on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 am

The deathclaw laughed. "If you think that I'd trust a traitor, you must play me for a fool. St. Germaine's dead, and the threat to Vana'diel's gone." he said, keeping a stern eye on the Moogle, making few slow steps closer. The two were still far apart when the creature stopped to speak again. "Your only goal is glory. Mine - I care not for yours, and the blue soul is destroyed." he shot the air where Germaine was before a sharp yet brief glance. "I don't care what happens here - but you're getting in my way. As tempting as the feast here may seem -" he followed, taking a look around, with a faint glimmer of care, ever so hidden, "I'm not interested right now. You, however, if you insist on keeping us here, then your soul would do more than nicely." he said, a grin forming as the Behemoth began its attack.
Last edited by Darkvalkyr on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Postby RosalynSable on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:12 pm

"So, can you tell me what this Blue Magic is?"

"It's...simple. Some would say that magic is change. When you are casting a spell you are forcing your will onto the way of things. White Magic tends to introduce order into the system while Black Magic encourages decay."

"Ok..?"

"So, about a thousand years ago or something like that, some chucklehead gets the idea that if casting magic effects the world around them, there should be some changes done to one's self. He called this Blue Magic. A spell's ability to change the world, incorporated in their being. A Blue Mage would not be burned by fire, no, it's potential for change would become part of him."

"So any spell that a Blue Mage can see they'd learn?"

"You'd have a mage who could never be attacked without becoming more powerful..."

"Is that true?"

"Not really. Actually, we just turn into monsters..."

---

Rosalyn opened her eyes to the bright blue, cloudless sky above her. Underneath her was cold cermet. She struggled to her feet slowly, her body aching with every muscle that moved.

Auto-R-r-repair s-s-systems engaged... one of the voices in the back of her head droned.

Un-ant...ated err.. shu...ing down... the other said, fading away.

Rosalyn saw the mechanical blade sheathed in the ground nearby. It shimmered for a moment before disappearing.

"...Discordia..." she said quietly as she managed to stand finally. She tenderly looked to her other side where the organic and ornate blade had landed similarly to the other sword. "...Concordia..." Rosalyn reached out and gripped the hilt and removed it from the ground. The blade shined lightly blue before disappearing as well.

Rosalyn took a labored breath and began walking towards where the group had been before the fight with Germaine. Hopefully they would still be there. As she limped through the serene island she had almost forgotten that it was falling, plummeting towards the planet. The injured mithra, her Blue Mage clothing destroyed and tattered, looked down into her left hand. In it, a shattered half of the Blue Soul remained. She clutched her fist tight and continued to walk. Somewhere behind her, the second half lay on the cold cermet, glowing faintly until it disintigrated into nothing more than dust on the wind...
RosalynSable
Very Tough

PreviousNext

Return to Role-Playing