RNG SOLO GUIDE

Chat live.
Forum rules
Chat live.

RNG SOLO GUIDE

Postby willriker on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Way back when, i was leveling RNG as a second job. I am remaking my character and, now i find myself wanting to pick it up again. I really enjoyed soloing on rng. I really did not care for the party aspect. I couldnt really argue with the exp returns in a party, but somehow, the job just seems to be funner in a solo setting.

I have made it to level 24 thus far. But the worms on the bastok side of kor. tunnel are starting to dry up with the exp. Should i be looking to move to Qufim Worms soon? I dont really know what level to start in on those, I was going to try that out after i was done with the shantotto mini expansion (and buy the new level 24 racc knives lol lucky me!).

But what id really like to find is a solo guide. or at least some recomendations of out of the way places to go to and grab some decent exp while im at it. I searched the forums for something like this, but the actual wiki is blocked at work.

Anyone know of a solo guide for RNG?
Paladin 75
Smithing 92+2, Clothcraft 60, Alchemy 60, Leathercraft 60, Goldsmithin 54, Woodworking 45 Chocobo Digging A10
willriker
Even match

Re: RNG SOLO GUIDE

Postby Qeen on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:02 pm

I usually solo worms on any job around 25 in Qufim, so I guess you can take a chance with rng/nin 24, assuming you have shadows and maybe sleepbolt to stun -ga (don't really know if it'll work, since low tier spells are quite fast to cast).
Qeen
Decent Challenge

World: Leviathan
Nation: Bastok
Title: Bye-bye, Taisai
Jobs: PUP90 DRG90 BLU90

Postby methodicalslime on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:46 am

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ranger_Solo_Guide

i just went /war and used bloody bolts at a range to keep HP up.
methodicalslime
Too weak

World: Ifrit
Title: The Vivisector
Jobs: BST75 BRD75 WAR75 RNG75

Postby willriker on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:18 pm

yeah, wiki is blocked on this computer. and, i dont have a pc at the house. It broke down. so, thats kind of why i was asking in the forums for advice. Im sorry, i should have mentioned that in the OP. So, you subbed war? I was doing worms, so have nin sub.

But, if there is a better alternative in that guide... that i cannot access... i would love to hear about it. :cry: its like a present i cannot open... work filters are so cruel!
Paladin 75
Smithing 92+2, Clothcraft 60, Alchemy 60, Leathercraft 60, Goldsmithin 54, Woodworking 45 Chocobo Digging A10
willriker
Even match

Postby Qeen on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Levels 18-24(25)

* Land Worms in Korroloka Tunnel.
o Recommended to do worms only, and look out for links.
* Important! At level 24 Utsusemi becomes available with the Ninja subjob.
o This is extremely useful for soloing as it will absorb nearly all spells cast on you by the worms.
* Due to the soloing capabilities of many jobs like SMN, PUP and DNC, competition for mobs might be heavy. With the the introduction of level snyc, low-level parties are seen camping in these areas too.

[edit] Levels 25-30

* Back to Maze of Shakhrami for Abyss Worms.
o These should bring you close to 30.
o Abyss Worms are aggressive, located deeper inside Maze of Shakhrami, and generally surrounded by other aggressive mobs such as Wights and Scorpions. They will now cast Stone II as well which can inflict reasonable damage if it lands.
o Silent Oils, Prism Powders, and HP Recovery items are highly recommended if soloing without the aid of a PL.

[edit] Levels 30-35

* Rock Eater in North Gustaberg (S) along the road from (H-7) to (I-5). Again, nothing here will aggro you once you are here except there are Goblins at the northern part of (I-5)and Quadavs at (H-7) that you would want to be careful of. Also, on your way out to camp, if it is night time, Undead will spawn there but nothing that you cannot run around from.
o Before you start, you may want to have a Pixie tracked in your Widescan so you can find it to heal up back from yellow or red.
o With Utsusemi and Bloody Bolts and a wandering Pixie, there should be almost zero down time at all. Make sure you bring enough Bolts and Arrows as well as level appropriate new Bows. Also, bring 1-2 stacks of Fire Crystal to turn all the ores into ingot to save space.
o If you don't want to spend all that money on Utsusemi and Bloody Bolts, you could always level Dancer. Yeah, that's right, /DNC works even on RNG. The Drain Samba won't do much for you, but you should easily get way more TP than needed to heal yourself back up after each worm, with the heal dance you get at 15DNC.
o At Lvl.32 you could sub White Mage and use Silence. As a Taru with capped enfeebling (no merits), I was able to silence rather reliably. With refresh and regen from sigil, you can solo without ever having to rest (Barstonra and Divine Seal every 10 minutes make soloing here a breeze). -- Boogers on Hades

From the above link, of course. ;)
Qeen
Decent Challenge

World: Leviathan
Jobs: PUP90 DRG90 BLU90

Postby willriker on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 pm

thank you very much
Paladin 75
willriker
Even match

Postby corrinth on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Will,

I don't know how strict your job is, but have you ever considered using a proxy website to view the wiki? Like ninjaproxy.com or some of the others. Just a suggestion.
"There's something to be said about taking up the mantle of Piracy and Thievery that makes you feel cooler than everyone else."

-- Corrinth, FFXI(Last week of Seraph)
corrinth
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (52)
World: Bismarck
Title: Roc Star
Jobs: 75THF 75COR

Postby Surazal on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:48 pm

What kind of fascist setup blocks a wiki site?
Surazal
Decent Challenge

World: Phoenix
Nation: San d'Oria
Jobs: Thief

Postby Althalus on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:03 am

In communist Russia, website blocks you!
ImageImageImage
~All courtesy of dhkite.
Althalus
Even match

Blog: View Blog (17)
World: Shiva
Title: Tarutaru Murder Suspect
Jobs: [75] RDM DRG SMN

Postby willriker on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:26 pm

hehe, cant really say without getting into trouble as we do work with the governement. But, i can veiw the general wiki, but i cannot veiw ffxiclopediea. And people have been fired when caught on proxy sites. Thats a whole mess that i do not want to deal with.
Paladin 75
willriker
Even match

Postby Miraun on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:13 pm

willriker wrote:hehe, cant really say without getting into trouble as we do work with the governement. But, i can veiw the general wiki, but i cannot veiw ffxiclopediea. And people have been fired when caught on proxy sites. Thats a whole mess that i do not want to deal with.

Go into google or altavista translate, and use the translater to open up FFXIclopedia and translate it from... lets say German to English.

The translator will act as a proxy. As far as your ISP is concerned, you're accessing google/altavista, and not the wiki.
Jeran wrote:..if you, after previous drinks, came to the only possible conclusions, that Miraun is a masked game developer or decryped the entire gamecode. - take another 3 drinks
Miraun
Very Tough

World: Phoenix
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Elite Einherjar
Jobs: 75 SMN DRG NIN PUP PLD

Postby willriker on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to say thankyou, once again, for all of your help. I am at 34 RNG now. I have /NIN and /WAR available to me. But, that guide you pointed out has just about ended. It stops at 35. the advice in it has been extremely useful. And i was hoping you guys could help me some more.

I am looking for a solo camp at 35+. Currently i am using crossbow, as i see how useful it is for solo work. You know, with all the diferant status bolts available for it. I am curently getting familiar with the whole acid bolt > holy bolt for tp thing. Then once at 40 using mythril bolts for Barrage/WS. It all makes sence really. All i am missing is a camp 35+.

I was thinking about doing worms in Attowa Chasm. But, i am not sure what kind of levels those are good for.

Knowing that i am into the soloing aspect of the job, what would you guys recommend for moving forward?
Paladin 75
willriker
Even match

Postby Amara on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:49 am

Could try worms in Grauberg [S] I know I've duo'd and solo'd on those on quite a few jobs... just can't remember exactly what levels I was there for. Only thing to watch out for is the random goblin that wanders around, and avoid the lizards at all costs! If you zone into Grauberg [S] from North Gusta. [S] there are 3-4 worms that pop just up a bit from the zone, then there's another bunch that pop if you follow the wall to the left, there's an opening with a house and some NPCs bunch more worms there, and that's also where you have to worry about the goblin. Also take care of the ghost that spawns in the cave at night, but he doesn't come out.
Bst 4 Life
Amara
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (66)
World: Lakshmi
Title: Looks Sublime in a Subligar
Jobs: Bst Nin Pld Rdm Blm Sam Cor Rng Thf Whm

Postby willriker on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 pm

well i found a nice solo spot for RNG 39-44. It was killing Tigers in Battalia Downs. Dont get me wrong, it was not a 8k/hr solo camp... but i was getting 3-4k an hour. But the best part was that i was able to /thf. I was making enough gil to pay for my ammunition on crossbow. and the exp was nice. It's not really a secret or anything. Just FoV page 5 (9 tigers). FoV reward was 725 exp/gill and 72 points. Youll start off making 150ish per kill, with band, and it will taper down to 50exp per kill.

FoV page 5 (9Tigers)
FoV protect
FoV regen
RNG/THF
Acid Bolts (helps save ammunition with more damage per hit)
Holy Bolts (TP gain)
Mythril Bolts (Barrage and WS)
Gain Tiger Hides and Tiger Fangs, will pay for your ammunition.
Once at 44 you can OP to The Sanctuary of Zitah to cap off your skills on DC/EM without the aid of bloody bolts.

At some point in level 44 i hopped into a party for a bit. This party dropped me off at like half way through level 47. Does anyone else have any ideas for where a decent solo spot at 47 would be? I was thinking about soloing in the Sanctuary of Zitah. But, I was looking for recomendations. If you can recommend a spot that at least comes close to paying for ammunition, it would be even etter for me ;)

Oh, one thing i was looking into was the bloody bolts. How much HP am i looking at for return on DC-EM enemies? It probably varies but im looking for a guestimate here, i wont be doing something stupid and bloody bolting undead. But i plan on doing this for leeches/funguar/damselflies. If they are decent, i will look into them to cut down that resting time. If im only going to get like 10-15 hp out of em.. not going to bother.
Paladin 75
willriker
Even match

Postby NanaaMihgo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:15 pm

willriker wrote:Oh, one thing i was looking into was the bloody bolts. How much HP am i looking at for return on DC-EM enemies? It probably varies but im looking for a guestimate here, i wont be doing something stupid and bloody bolting undead. But i plan on doing this for leeches/funguar/damselflies. If they are decent, i will look into them to cut down that resting time. If im only going to get like 10-15 hp out of em.. not going to bother.

It depends on the mob. Mandies in the jungle can return like 80-90 hp per hit but that's the high end. On my THF I'd say I get 35-75 hp depending on the mob. Can't remember results from leeches/shrooms/flies specifically. The only time I think I've ever gotten as low as 10-15 would be on something like an elemental.

There's speculation that HP return on bloody bolt is dependent on your INT, the enemy's INT, or some comparison of the two. So you may get less from say, a BLM beastman? But I can't say for sure that's how it works. I have noticed that physically resistant enemies (slimes, elementals) return significantly less, but they may also have high INT, I don't know.
NanaaMihgo
Too weak

World: Shiva
Nation: Windurst
Title: Tarutaru Murder Suspect

Next

Return to Ranger