RDM weapons?

Chat live.
Forum rules
Chat live.

Postby Hyrist on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:01 pm

Meh, people who don't understand wand users arn't understood by staff users either.

I tend to walk the middle path on this.

Straight and simple, Staffs are accuracy, Wands are potancy. If you don't have problems with Accuracy (getting the debuff to land) then you swap out to potency and see what happens.

I've never had a Staff land a more potent Paralyze than keeping an upgraded HQ wand on me, same goes for slow, poison, etc. These spells simply are influenced by your MND/INT scores.

Nuking, however, is a different story. But I am no black mage. I feel no desire to lug an extra 5-6 staffs around just so my nukes land a LITTLE harder. I can stack up elemental skill for that, focus on ice element or wind element, and still manage strong numbers without having to blow inventory space. Goodness knows I'll be filling it up with more gear.

Dark, Ice, Earth, Wind, and on a very rare possibility, light. (I HATE main healing. You want a cure-freak? Go find another RDM.)

Melee Weapons? There's a resounding gap in usable daggers between 60-72 unless you have a crafter to make you a venom dagger.

Swords are pretty well out there, and can be used depending on what you are doing. In parties against VT Royal Guards Fluret really shins up until Gold Sword, which is still the best damage weapon a RDM can have up until Joytoy and other hefty endgame swords.

Stress Accuracy in groups, stress Attack/Str alone. That's the best key for gear to melee.
Hyrist
Easy prey

World: Odin
Nation: Windurst
Title: Seeker of Truth

Postby Mauddib on Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:56 pm

Wiccaan wrote:@Mauddib: You don't need friends to kill Charby, you can solo him pretty easily with NIN or BLU sub.

Oh really... I'd imagine because of his strong TP moves your suggesting a Kite Nuke/DoT strategy... Thats really interesting, i must admit i havn't done alot of research but i've never heard of anyone soloing him. I might need to snag a ToD and give it a try...
Mauddib
Easy prey

World: Fenrir
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Sandworm Wrangler

Postby Wiccaan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:44 am

Mauddib wrote:
Wiccaan wrote:@Mauddib: You don't need friends to kill Charby, you can solo him pretty easily with NIN or BLU sub.

Oh really... I'd imagine because of his strong TP moves your suggesting a Kite Nuke/DoT strategy... Thats really interesting, i must admit i havn't done alot of research but i've never heard of anyone soloing him. I might need to snag a ToD and give it a try...

Yeah. DoT kite. NIN or BLU sub for shadows. (Stoneskin from BLU)

But, you don't fight him in the room he pops, you can if you want but its best to get claim and bind him in his room, sneak up, and run all the way back upto the top where the ring is where you enter the gold beastcoin door at. Then you just grav,bind / DoT kite him up there. It takes forever to do solo, but if you have some friends to help, like BLM's or other RDMs it goes a bit faster.
WiccaanDiabolos Server
RDM75BRD75•BLM75•WHM75•MNK75•THF75
RoZ: O • CoP: O • ToA: O
• Windower Developer •
Wiccaan
Easy prey

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Mauddib on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:57 am

sweet thanks man for the info, i've never heard of this until now :-) I get ToD's every few months, maybe i'll go after him next time i get one :D
Mauddib
Easy prey

World: Fenrir
Title: Sandworm Wrangler

Postby Wiccaan on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Mauddib wrote:sweet thanks man for the info, i've never heard of this until now :-) I get ToD's every few months, maybe i'll go after him next time i get one :D

No problem :) Just wear all your best Enfeebling gear when you bind him cause the run back up is pretty far and he does not have to follow the direct path while chasing you, he can just jump up the walls. If he attempts to hit you while running you will lose sneak and get aggro so you gotta run fast.
WiccaanDiabolos Server
RDM75BRD75•BLM75•WHM75•MNK75•THF75
RoZ: O • CoP: O • ToA: O
• Windower Developer •
Wiccaan
Easy prey

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby serversurfer on Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:38 am

One excellent sword I haven't seen mentioned is the Auriga Xiphos. This sword offers a better DPS than the Flame Sword (4.55 Vs. 4.4) along with better TP/Hit (6.1% Vs. 5.9%), and only a slightly higher Delay (224 Vs. 218). You give up the Additional Effect: Fire Damage, but obviously we don't need that anyway. What you get in return for the AE is far more useful anyway, namely Acc+2. Since we're only B-rated with our weapons of choice, Acc++ is very useful to us. Your DPS is effectively 0.0 if you can't hit the mob, not to mention all of the En-damage that you're missing out on. On top of all of this, being a Level 19 weapon makes it a superb choice for 20-cap fights.

You'll notice three trends in my recommendations: high DPS (always a good thing), low Delay (for maximum En-damage), and Acc++/Dex++ (for the aforementioned reasons).

Code: Select all
Name              Level Dam  Del  DPS      Additional Attributes
Wax Sword +1      1     7    218  1.9266   Acc+2
Bee Spatha +1     11    14   226  3.7004   Acc+2
Auriga Xiphos     19    17   224  4.5536   Acc+2
Centurion's Sword 30    19   225  5.0667   Acc+3; Atk+4
Republic Sword    34    21   213  5.9155   Acc+3; Atk+4; Outside Control: HP+6; MP+6
Buzzard Tuck      40    23   224  6.1607   Dex+1; En-damage+2; En-duration+5
Duel Rapier       43    23   224  6.1607   Parrying Skill+10
R.G. Fleuret      55    33   215  9.2093   Acc+6; Parrying Skill+5
W.W Bilbo         55    28   226  7.4336   Eva+3; Def+3
Enhancing Sword   68    40   240  10.0000  En-damage+5; Latent: Acc+8; Atk+16
Joyeuse           70    35   224  9.3750   Dark+14; Occasionally Attacks Twice
Verdun +1         73    37   218  10.1835  MP+20; Parrying Skill+8
Excalibur         75    49   233  12.6180  Atk+20; WS: Knights of Round; Additional Effect: Dmg proportional to HP

I would also strongly recommend that you always equip either the Buzzard Tuck or the Enhancing Sword. The additional En-damage may not seem like much, but since it's not effected by the mob's Def, it will add up quickly over the course of the fight, particularly if you Dual Wield. If you find yourself lacking in raw damage while waiting for the Enhancing Sword, try off-handing the Fleuret. Its Acc and Parrying Skill boosts will also help you to do more damage and take less damage too. Actually, all of the post-40 swords I mentioned make excellent off-hand compliments to the two En-swords.

One last thing. Where available, always, always, always get the HQ version of a weapon. Dmg+1 may not seem like much for what you are paying, but you also get a Delay reduction which, when combined, significantly boost the DPS of the weapon. In addition, the HQ will generally offer improved attributes over the NQ version (or attributes that weren't there at all, such as the Acc++ of the Wax Sword and Bee Spatha).

I'll post back later with my favorite daggers. :)
serversurfer
Too weak

Postby Hyrist on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:33 pm

While we are on the subject of weapons, has ANYONE gotten any rumors or information regarding Vopral Sword??
Hyrist
Easy prey

World: Odin
Title: Seeker of Truth

Postby Alexanderr on Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:24 pm

My bets are on Nyzul or Salvage but I have no clue. =)
LS: WhisperOfAbaddon
Alexanderr
Decent Challenge

Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby Renly on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:38 am

Vorpal sword is a floor 100 Nyzul "relic". As of yet, no way to make it do anything.

I'd also just like to throw in a "hells yes" for the Justice Sword. If you care to spend the time to get the virtue stones, this sword is great. I don't own a Joyeuse, but I can put up some decent numbers with the Justice.
Renly
Decent Challenge

Postby Azarashi on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:54 am

Wise Wizard Analance is what I use cause of the +14 attack, but I macro in staves for spells.
RDM 75 | BRD 63 | BLM 37 | WHM 38
Azarashi
Easy prey

World: Titan

Postby Pendulum on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:00 am

I mainly use a dagger, I use Misericorde for that. If I'm using sword, I use Martial Anelace (I always fell really stupid when dual-weilding and I offhand the Martial Anelace :whistle: ).

And that's the reason I really really really want a joyeuse but no ninjas I know are too keen to tank, so I might try soloing it once I complete my Convert and Ice accuracy merits. 8-[
Pendulum
Even match

World: Ragnarok
Title: Warrior of the Crystal
Jobs: RDM BLM DRG SAM

Postby Oxbloodravenxo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:26 am

atm i just equipped any sword till 51 then i used staffs up to 75 then i leveled sword skill which is now capped and dagger skill which is high as well so i would say go dual wield sword + dagger (i use martial anelance+garudas dagger and i solo avatars and stuff fine) or if ya wanna dual wield 2 swords or 2 daggers thats fine as well both are as good as each other and to your question about not many swords, there isnt many you are right because rdm is the best sword wielder but it is good nonetheless.
Oxbloodravenxo
Decent Challenge

Postby Pendulum on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:18 pm

PLD and BLU have better sword skills.
Pendulum
Even match

World: Ragnarok
Title: Warrior of the Crystal
Jobs: RDM BLM DRG SAM

Postby madrone on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:21 pm

RDM primary weapons are staves for spell casting post 51 or wands pre-51. There are low level ranges were we melee in parties in which case Swords tend to have better DOT than Daggers.

At 71, Joyeuse, our main multi-attack Sword offers an average delay that's the same as the fastest dagger (about delay 150 when you consider 50% Double Attack rate applied to 224 delay), and D35 which blows all daggers but relic that we can use away. Justice Sword offers another double attack option that is slashing damage instead of piercing, though it eats up some inventory space for the virtue stones it consumes, and uses our ammo slot. Best dagger option is Blau Dolch (short of relic anyway).

Daggers offer low delay, a strong multi-hit WS, and some utility with Cyclone (AOE damage, ranged WS), and Energy Drain. Swords also offer a little flexibility but their WS are pretty weak. There's a multi-hit WS but we only get it with certain subjobs, there's a Stun WS, a weak AOE damage WS, and several (weak) magical damage WS. * Magical WS can't miss and can benefit from the spell casting gear we'd normally carry (INT/MAB/MND), making them convenient to gear for when inventory is tight.

Our best damage dealing for endgame xp level targets is to rely on /NIN and as much haste and delay reduction as we can get, shore up our accuracy issues with sushi, and hope for a BRD to boost our attack. We'd mainhand a strong dagger for Evisceration and offhand a multi-attack Sword. This implies piercing damage from both weapons (except if Justice is off-handed), so its best for us to pick on piercing-weak targets. Generally, you'd pick the enspell of the day provided the mob is not strong to that element. Another option is dual-weilding multi-attack Swords, sacrificing a strong WS for additional damage over time.

Top weapon picks (sans relic):

Blau Dolch
Joyeuse
Justice Sword
Vorpal Sword (???)
HQ staves

* Some weapons skills get a nice boost from larger than 100 TP values. In which case Martial Knife/Anelace can be a mainhand weapon option.
75 RDM/PLD/BLM/MNK/BRD , 37 WHM/BLU/DRK/WAR/NIN/SCHs
DM/AN Merc rank 10 Bastok rank 10 merits 346/506
Nash/Homam 2/10, Crimson 2/5, Pln. 2/5, Yigit 5/5, Zenith 3/5, Shura 2/5, AF2 7/25, AF+1 11/25
madrone
Easy prey

Postby Oliveman on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 am

I have the suspicion vorpal sword is going to be a much sought after item for RDM, considering it is RDM only and will be used for relic-making in the future.
Oliveman - Quetz Server - The Infamous Red Mage
Solo Record: ZM8 (Kam'lanaut), AATT, Gration, All 6 Elemental Avatar Battles Naked
Oliveman
Too weak

PreviousNext

Return to Red Mage