Magian trial weapon help

Chat live.
Forum rules
Chat live.

Magian trial weapon help

Postby Corbeau on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:24 am

hello,

Since a lot of us BLU are going to try to get the new swords, mainly the +str, from the Magian quest, I thought I'd share the infos I found so far.

Trial 164 = Pashhow Marshlands (S) on leeches from G6 to G9, both thunder and water weather are present in the zone and appear on a regular basis.

Trial 165 = Labyrinth of Onzozo. Convert all the Flying Manta around G7 to EP during downtime and wait for wind weather. There's usually 1 wind weather every day (so around 30 min wait in between). If you are lucky, you'll get a partner to kill the manta. We were able to kill up to 14 in a single weather time.

Trial 166 = Well, wait for a fireday and kill like crazy. If you team up, you could do it in 1 or 2 day. Castle Oztroja is supposed to see more Fire weather then other places... I do not know for sure.

Trial 167 = Best place is Kuftal Tunnel. Crab for the win, just wait for a fireday and kill kill kill. There's usually a lot of people in here so ask for a team-up. A good team of 4 to 6 can clear 100 crabs in 1 day.

Trial 168 = Forget all I said before here, the place to go is Ulegerand Range. Bunny, Tiger and even Buffalo. Get a couple of friend and you'll be done quite fast. Drg and thf also need to kill beast and they come here so don't hesitate to ask them to team up.

Trial 169 = Puddings... what to say, team up with blms in Merit party or solo/duo those in Halvung carefully avoiding aggro from trolls and other nasty stuff.

Next sword will be dex, then vit for my -physical dmg. / tanking set.
Last edited by Corbeau on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Singing my way around Vana'Diel, charming those who complain.
Corbeau
Too weak

Re: Magian trial weapon help

Postby ToraZalinto on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:11 am

This certainly helpful but I decided i'm going to go down the DEX path. Two of those swords will add roughly 7% to my hit rate (according to FFXI calculator) which is a greater increase in damage over the STR ones. I'll be pushing 89.2% accuracy as /nin with accuracy bonus versus merit level colibri once those get finished (gonna be a while but not as long as perdu will take.) I may only do the one and get a koggle if I can get the people for it. Probably take less time than getting two. But Perdu is definitely out of reach. That being said does anyone have any recommendations for the dex path?
"Anyone attempting to serve cold or leftover mashed potatoes has clearly never eaten cold or leftover mashed potatoes. Or has some kind of sinister, ulterior motive at work." ~ Surviving the World.

ToraZalinto
Very Tough

World: Diabolos
Nation: Bastok
Title: Total Loser

Postby Darkvalkyr on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 am

I'm going for the OAT path, soooo yah. No problems there, all that's left is just Ruthven...
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (6)
World: Lakshmi
Nation: Windurst
Title: Archmage Assassin
Jobs: Blue Mage [90] + Puppetmaster[90] + Dancer [90]

Postby Corbeau on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Updated with more info, but would appreciate some input from people who did more then me.
Singing my way around Vana'Diel, charming those who complain.
Corbeau
Too weak

Postby Yvonne on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Continued from Trial 164 and Trial 165.

Soulsaber - DEX + ACC

Trial 178: 100 monsters
Day/Weather: Lightning

Vunkerl Inlet (S) - Kill all mobs surrounding the Outpost. Crabs and Pugs. Lots of Lightning weather.

Trial 179: 100 Plantoids

Grauberg (S) - Kill all the roaming tree mobs south of the Outpost. Shouldn't be hard to spot, go west from "Watchful Pixie" NPC.

Please note the NM Chig.

Trial 180: 150 Arcana

Ro'Maeve - Lots of back to back Lightning weather. Just pair up or ally with all the free roaming people in the zone.

Trial 181: 200 Qutrubs

Arrapago Reef (Ilrusi Atoll Staging Point) - Shout at the beginning of Ice day in WG. Get as many as 6+ people to clear at a reasonable rate (40-50 kills in a day). If you're lucky, with more people joining you, easy 70+ in a single day. Bring echo drops due to imps upon entering and backtracking in the spawn paths. Some might argue this isn't the hardest/annoying path, but without proper support, the Ice Spikes from the Quatrubs will ruin small groups without Dispel. If you are only there with 2-3 other people, try and come up with a Light SC. This will literally take 80-90% off their HP.

Please note the Lamia NM will spawn (random) if someone does die.

Also note that anyone on the PS2 will "blackout" while farming. Please submit bug reports since 3-4 people (including myself) would blackout/crash while farming.

The sword is awesome btw! Either Perdu/Soulsaber for high end stuff or Soulsaber/Koggel for casual Imp camps.

Lots of interesting combos from the 2 main Soulsaber swords:

Kogg + SS(DEX) = 0 ATK 8 ACC 8 DEX 4 STR
Kogg + SS(STR) = 12 ATK 0 ACC 4 DEX 8 STR

SS(DEX) + SS(DEX) = 0 ATK 16 ACC 8 DEX
SS(STR) + SS(STR) = 24 ATK 0 ACC 8 STR

Perdu + SS(DEX) = 15 ATK 13 ACC 4 DEX
Perdu + SS(STR) = 27 ATK 5 ACC 4 STR

SS(DEX) + SS(STR) = 12 ATK 8 ACC 4 DEX 4 STR

Compared to our traditional:

Kogg + Perdu = 15 ATK 5 ACC 4 DEX 4 STR

Assuming Antea (OaT) becomes the norm as our staple TP set, I guess having either STR or DEX sword would be best. Though I'm leaning towards the DEX sword for general spell casting. This is also the final nail on the coffin for Hofud. I used to sub this when fighting beast type mobs when Kogg was out of the question. RIP dear friend, I hope SE redeems you by giving an OaT augment in the future.
Yvonne
Too weak

World: Midgardsormr
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Accomplished Chef
Jobs: Retired

Postby Darkvalkyr on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 am

Grats on getting the sword.

I'm probably aiming for the STR weapon because I don't have too much ACC problems...though it's tempting.

The Flan for the STR isn't going to be as hard as the Qutrub for me, though...which is why I'm aiming for the STR saber.
ImageImage

Seanr wrote:You get all excited when you first start out, then halfway through you're all bored and sh**, then you finally get to 600xp/kill and you're like FINALLY!, then you're like... ughhhh I cant wait to cap xp and merits and go to sleep!
Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Postby RosalynSable on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:46 pm

for me, the str saber isn't so much about the +4 str, it's the +12 Attack. Remember those days of dual wielding Wise Wizard Anelaces and your damage output was so much higher than usual because you had two +14atk weapons equipped? Yeah. It won't be quite as nice, but hey, it wills till be nice. Anything to help the sword DoT.
To be forgotten is worse than death.
RosalynSable
Very Tough

Blog: View Blog (78)
Title: Doctor Shantotto Supporter
Jobs: Blu90 Sch90 Pup75 Drg60 Dnc40

Postby Sey on Mon May 03, 2010 7:25 pm

So far being that i have Koggel, Perdo & Ifirt's I'm taking the Mp +30 Magic Acc +10 path. I'm not sure if the Magic Acc will be a plus but with Str at +76 in CASA gear I think I'll test this sword in TP gear to see if head butts/anything else will have a better effect.

If Tizona have it and AF legs then it must have some meaning to it.
Sey
Too weak

World: Cerberus
Jobs: 75BLU - 75BST - 75THF - 75BLM - 71WAR - 62PLD

Postby Sey on Mon May 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Also I do understand that elemental staves > all but I only marco those in my /sch set.
Except for Heat breathe which is standard on all my spell sets. But if to say /nin in low man situations with no RDM and need to enfeeble and still keep TP.

My apologies for getting off topic abit.
Sey
Too weak

Postby Darkvalkyr on Mon May 03, 2010 11:54 pm

Head Butt is imo affected by M.Acc - as is any debuff that BLU gets access to, physical or magical blue magic.

That said, the MAcc+10 path really isn't too worth it for the damage as much as you would get ACC+ on the DEX soulsaber = usually you'd have enough MAcc to actually land the stun which is usually all that's needed - even if it lasts for a second or two. I'm sure more MAcc would make it last longer, but I'd rather pile on ACC and make sure the spell actually connects.

Usually if you're in a low man situation, I'd say it's still possible to debuff without an elemental staff with just a normal TP set - if it's stronger than that, then I'd say the staves would be necessary and you'll just cast magical blue magic since TP's always not with you.
ImageImage

Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Postby Sey on Mon May 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Since my last post, I am now on my last trial which is 200 Ahrimans (3kills left w00t) on dark weather/day. So far during USA prime time I'm mostly killing by myself but on JP time (the 3 darkdays I was around for) there's every JP blu known to man. We easily had 16 man alliance with maybe 3 rdms. I also saw 2 of them with fully upgraded Soulsaber and is finishing the 2nd sword to get both with same stats.
These F'ers definity know something that SE is keeping hidden from us.
Sey
Too weak

Postby Darkvalkyr on Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 pm

It's more like I think we have more NA players whining that the trials are too hard. ::Rolleyes::

Eastern societies tend to not mind grinding and casual play, western is more about the NOW NOW NOW PLEASE.
ImageImage

Darkvalkyr
Very Tough

Postby zagen on Mon May 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Sey wrote:These F'ers definity know something that SE is keeping hidden from us.

I'd go with Teamwork... a lot of people I know who're working on magian trials are doing it solo. I don't get why I mean I got my side-sword upgraded in 3 days of randomly doing it late at night (JP prime time) and I always had people to join or invite to work on the leeches. While others have spent a week or 2 just to upgrade that because they do it solo or dualboxed. I went to work on Staff one weekend during NA/EU prime times and it was a fight for trees because they refused to team up...
zagen
Easy prey

World: Bismarck
Title: Apollyon Ravager
Jobs: SCH 75 RDM 75 COR 75 DNC 67 BLU 63

Postby SecaOfTitan on Mon May 31, 2010 1:38 am

I just got to the final trial of the magic acc sword but haven't started yet. Let me ask you, where are you killing those 200 Ahrimans? In Bailies in Xarc? Or are you level syncing?
<Cooler than the other side of the pillow>
SecaOfTitan
Too weak

Postby Yvonne on Mon May 31, 2010 2:18 am

When I did mine a month ago, I was hanging out in the middle area of Map 3 of Castle Zvahl Baileys - Map 3

It's basically in the area where the NM Demons are at, but one step down, which will let you land in 4 different paths (you'll know when you see it). From there, there's 2 eyes in each path, 1-2 eyes going through the corridor.

There's one huge hole in the center that leads to map 4 (so careful not to walk over it), so you'll need to bring along a range attack weapon or equip Cannonball or Pinecone Bomb to pull all the eye to you from different paths (9-10 Eyes). Since they all link, I recommend equipping Yawn and/or Pinecone Bomb to sleep adds, which will be necessary to kill at a reasonable rate solo. I also highly recommend buying an Imperial Egg for Pinecone Bomb

You should be able to kill 25+ Eyes in a single Darksday, or 35-40+ if you have a party set up to cover each path. Since you'll be killing so fast, you can backtrack a bit and nab an extra Eye going back to camp.

If you have a mule in Sandy, there's a weather NPC in S.Sandy. Gloomy weather is common, so you might be able to clear your sword in 2-3 days if you watch for it. Otherwise, if you have a full time job like me, a week.

And to clear things up, since I do get this questioned a lot, physical BLU spells follow the same acc. formula as regular melee attacks. Often times without food bonuses, you won't be able to cap your physical spell acc. on tough mobs like Mamools. Even with food like Pizza or Sole Sushi, you still won't cap on some mobs due to slots being occupied for Blue magic Skill, STR, DEX, etc. If you can find a balance with M.Accuracy equipment, you'll notice your stun durations will be longer and they will proc on things that are unusually harder to stun (Hydra in Dynamis Tav). Not just Head Butts, but things like Sub-Zero Smash, Pinecone Bomb, Sprout Smack and such. Sometimes, you'll need to equip M.Acc over max damage for the procs, which some BLUs neglect.
Yvonne
Too weak

World: Midgardsormr
Nation: San d'Oria
Title: Accomplished Chef
Jobs: Retired

Next

Return to Blue Mage